• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing rabbits for play time

Danielle&James

Warren Scout
I have now got 2 young buck rabbits who are in seperate cages. I do not think I can rehouse together them as we are limited to indoor space and don't think we have enough floor space for a bigger cage.

Does anyone have a guide or tips for introducing them as I would like to have them out of their cages at the same time so they get some company?

I did ask the man at the pet shop but he was a bit vague!

Thanks for all your help :)

I'm not suprised the pet shop man was vague as this will not work - I have to give my rabbits seperate run time or they fight very seriously - They enjoy having other rabbits living next door to them, but this increases their need to wee and mark territory unless you have them neutered by a good vet. This can't be done till they are about 4 months old though - how old are your boys and are you SURE they are boys - pet shops will often sex them wrong too :?

Bunny Bonding

Hi

I followed the RWF advice when bonding mine. put them together on strictly neutral territory for a short period and build the length of time up until they are comfortable together.

Mine are never more than a ft apart.

i dont think it will be that easy to put them together just for playtime and then seperate them again and expect them to get on together.

I'm not suprised the pet shop man was vague as this will not work - I have to give my rabbits seperate run time or they fight very seriously - They enjoy having other rabbits living next door to them, but this increases their need to wee and mark territory unless you have them neutered by a good vet. This can't be done till they are about 4 months old though - how old are your boys and are you SURE they are boys - pet shops will often sex them wrong too :?

thanks he said it would but didn't seem to know how to do it :(

they are both about 2 months old which is why he said it would work.

they will probably spend the whole time, chasing, fur pulling etc etc and this will repeat itself every time you reintroduce them to each other.

If it doesnt happen now, give it a month or two then it definately will when they start getting hormonal.

Last edited:
thanks he said it would but didn't seem to know how to do it :(

they are both about 2 months old which is why he said it would work.

At the age of 8wks they probably won't fight, but they start to get hormonal around 10 to 12 wks, which is when they may start fighting, and the problem is they are too young to neuter at that age, and once they start fighting they don't tend to forgive each other - my boy Benny hates other rabbits after being set on by some girl bunnies 2yrs ago :(

The main worry as well is they may be wrongly sexed, in which case they need to be kept seperate from 10wks old till you have their sex checked by a vet - and even they get it wrong as rabbits are hard to correctly sex when young.

I would keep them seperate for a few months till you know what sex they are and can get them neutered, and until then let them take turns having a run - that's what I do with mine and they seem happy to be next-door neighbours - but it will mean more poops to pick up as thats how they mark territory when there's another rabbit there.

Last edited:
oh thats annoying, perhaps we might have to look at getting a bigger cage as we only have the nero 3 at the moment and thats defo not big enough for 2!

I have seen the pics on this forum about trying to sex a rabbit so I might give it a go later, to be honest I wouldn't mind if one was a girl, although obviously there would be no introducing them then! lol

but if you got the boy neutered asap you can introduce then if you find out they are of different sexes.

before you got your buns did you not think about the size of cages cos to be honest your buns are probably gonna double in size to what they are now and where will they live then? :D

we are moving to a bigger place soon so we will be able to get bigger cages then so size won't be a problem :)

I will be having the both neutered as soon as they are old enough

we are moving to a bigger place soon so we will be able to get bigger cages then so size won't be a problem :)

I will be having the both neutered as soon as they are old enough

Maybe it will be better to keep them apart till you move, if they are both nuetured by then the new place will be completely neutral so better for bonding, then you can get a new cage big enough for both :D

Back