• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over protective bunny mum!!!

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Ive just had to move my house bunnies to live as outside bunnies :roll: :cry: Moved them outside into their new hutches yesterday but I feel very anxious about them, just doesnt feel right going to bed when I know their outside!!!

Luckily our bedroom is at the back of the house but im lying in bed with the window open listening out to make sure I cant hear any noises. We have a fox which regularly visits the garden as their is a den at the botton of our garden which we just cant seem to get rid of, the hutches are secure with extra bolts and even padlocks, theres actually 3 locks on each door, thats 9 locks per hutch!!! but im still paranoid...............just cant relax.

Im trying to spend as much time as i can with them out there, sitting out with them this morning to eat my breakfast wrapped up in my coat LOL

Keep thinking though that they are cross with me for moving them from there nice comfy bedroom to an outside hutch!!!

What is the mesh like on the hutches,i have a solid door i close at night time which shuts over the mesh,makes you feel a bit better at night.:)

This is how I cover my hutches at night to deter foxes (and children!) It takes about 20mins and is hard work in the rain, but it puts my mind at ease - a fox isn't likely to bother if it's hard work and it can't see the bunnies. I also splash a jug ful of disinfectant around the patio so it doesn't smell rabbity either - then I collapse in an exhausted heap :) To be honest if I had a foxes den at the bottom of my garden I'd have bunnies indoors or in a shed in secure hutches - foxes are very strong and very determined :?

This is how I cover my hutches at night to deter foxes (and children!) It takes about 20mins and is hard work in the rain, but it puts my mind at ease - a fox isn't likely to bother if it's hard work and it can't see the bunnies. I also splash a jug ful of disinfectant around the patio so it doesn't smell rabbity either - then I collapse in an exhausted heap :) To be honest if I had a foxes den at the bottom of my garden I'd have bunnies indoors or in a shed in secure hutches - foxes are very strong and very determined :?

If I had the choice Elve I would have kept them indoors where they have lived for the past 2 years, but I am trying to sell my house to move to Scotland and have had to move them outside, we decided on good hutches rather than a shed as they are easier to move once we have sold and also we will have to temporarily move to a rented house up there while we look to buy so hutches were the best option. With any luck once we have moved we will have a garage or outbuilding to put the hutches in but for the nest few months they are in hutches on our patio under the bedroom window.
The hutches are new with the sronger black fox proof wire, we have a Lavender lodge from P@H plus 2 slightly smaller hutches but almost indentical to the lavender lodge.
They have a flyscreen on the front plus a night time cover then we have metel runs which we baracade the front of the hutches with.

Back