• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some have pairs, 3s or 4s- here's a herd!

MacGyver Bunny

Warren Scout
I wanted to share this with you guys, it is simply amazing.

The short version is: A year ago a breeder in Reno, NV, USA decided to dump all his buns in a local park to fend for themselves. A local rescue began rounding up the herd and calling out to other rescues to help take in the buns. The Rabbit rescue that I deal with in Michigan took on the most buns out of all of other rescues- 511 rabbits! They had a huge pasture bunny proofed along with a barn and the rabbits were brought all the way from from Reno in a convoy of air conditioned trucks, a 4 day drive (stopping along the way for food, water, refreshing- of course). Recently, another rescue decided they couldn't handle the 108 buns they had, and turned them over to the Michigan rescue, bringing the total to 619 rabbits all living together. While there have been squabbles, and a bun has been removed here and there, for the most part they all live peacefully in their HUGE enclosure, spending their 'retirement' eating grass and living free from unwanted litters. Yes, several vets donated their time and resources to spay/neuter EVERY SINGLE BUN!

Here are some pics and the whole story: http://www.rabbitsanctuary.org/rmkbl_reno_001.php

:shock: I don't know what to say! I'm so taken aback by the sheer number of bunnies! But how lovely that they have all been spayed/neutered and are free to live happily together :D

Next time I am out there, I will take photos to post. It is AMAZING! It's so awesome to see them all running together. It reminds me of a flock of birds. They all move together.

Oh my, that is a lot of rabbits!! :shock: I wish I lived closer so I could go check it out, or volunteer or something!

Thats amazing. It must be so hard to monitor them for illnesses etc. though.

It is more difficult to monitor because these buns are not used to being handled, so should an illness or injury be spotted, it's a challenge to catch that bun. But they do the best they can to keep an eye out for injuries and illnesses. As you can imagine, over 600 buns eat a lot, so they are constantly out there feeding them and observing them. Thankfully, in the US, we don't have the diseases and viruses like there is in the UK infecting our buns, at least not that I am aware of.

Looks great - but I find it hard monitoring the food intake/health of just a group of 4 :shock: I guess it's a happy life for them compared to the alternative though - looks idyllic :p

Awww that is the closest natural habit they could have I suppose, with out the immediate natural dangers.

Wish I could go visit! :D

Back