• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help me im worried

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
okay so from my rainbow bridge thread y ou know that one of jellys babies was pts today because of Myxi. Jelly was not vaccinated because the unplanend pregnancy was at the time of the bunnies jabs she was getting them done next week.

Babies are 5 weeks old. baby was fine yesterday, and today i saw she had red swollen eyes, so i immediatly took her way from mum and put her in a hutch by herself. She went to the vets at 4 pm but during tha time i cleaned jellys hutch, disinfected it thouroughly etc.

the little baby was pts and i am completly devastated, but i was lying in bed tonigth worrying that my girl jelly will have it. if i lose any more babies it will break my heart...but if i lose jelly i honestly think my heart will break.
the vet vaccinated her today, bcus i took mum and all other babies to be checked too (sick baby was brought in seperate carrier).

she is showing nothing yet but that doesnt make me feel any better cus the baby was okay yesterday!

can Myxi be spread rabbit to rabbit? can jelly catch it from the infected baby? please tell me cus im going out my mind, i cnt bear to lose her

Myxi is spread by fleas, mosquitos and other biting insects, like mites. It can't be transmitted directly between rabbits. Treating for fleas or mites would lessen the chances of contraction, but its likely it could be mosquitos too. You could try putting net curtains over her and the baby's hutch to prevent mozzies getting in, or maybe fly papers would get mozzies too? According to wikipedia, 50% of rabbits can survive myxi, but I'm not sure if this is in this country or just Australia, the wording is a bit funny. Vaccinating will give them a fighting chance if they too contract it. I so hope they will be ok and I'm sorry for your loss :(
This is the wikipedia link. There is one photo on here, in the top right corner. Its quite small and not very clear, but just as a warning incase you don't want to see it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

This propbably won't ease your worries but it will be a case of seeing what happens. If she regularly has her myxi jab then she will have built up some immunity which will be in her favour. It'll be a case of keeping any bunnies that you think may have myxi in isolation just in case they develop it as you won't want to spread it any further.
I hope that all works out okay and to hear that Jelly is still hopping around.

just got up, and so far they are all okay. i think it was a mosquito bcus none have ever had fleas....but i was worried it could be passed on bunny to bunny, and in which case they would all have it.
its just a waiting game and its horrible

This is just awful for you. As you said it's just a waiting game now as you've done everything you can. Thinking of you.

How horrible :cry: Unfortunately it can pass directly via infected fluids although this is unusual and unlikely - so if the poorly bun had a weeping eye etc, then it could potentially be passed on. What is more likely is that if there was a mosquito in the hutch who bit one of them, it may well have bitten others :cry: You also need to bear in mind that it takes 2 weeks to build up full immunity so if there are mozzies carrying the virus in your area, you need to do everything you can to stop them getting into your enclosures (fly screens etc). I don't want to be a prophet of doom and really hope that everything is ok, but it's better that you are aware that it's a possibility so you can keep a really close look out on them.

I really hope the rest of the buns are ok xx

Back