• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i'm having second thoughts

rianne23

Mama Doe
:cry: guys i need advice....
i am supposed to be picking up my rabbit saturday my little 'rescue project' :D she has her Myxi vacc booked for 10:20am BUT i am havin serious second thoughts about her now. i am so scared she is going to get myxi...i lost tilly to it even tho she wasn't vaccinated...it will break my heart :cry:

I think you need to go with your feelings, if the time isn't right for you, leave it.

If you get your new bun vaccinated you are doing everything you can to reduce the risk of your new bun contracting this. Review your house / garden to ensure that all myxie risks are reduced, such as no buckets with stagnent water in them .... net curtains on the hutch ...

You have to know that illness is a chance with any living being. I know you're scared from the past, but you have to think about all the good times. You loved Tilly so much, and she knew that. You know that she sent you this bunny to help fill that void in your life. Not only does this bunny need you, but face it, you need her too. When you're a bunny person, you're a bunny person. There is no denying it.... you gotta have one. Your worries will dwindle away. Tilly isn't dwelling on her passing, she's binking free on the RB. Just use your new knowledge to be the best bunny mom you can be to this new girl.

I totally agree with the last post. I know loosing tilly was painful but your new bun really dose need you especailly if its a rescue bun. just because tilly is gone dosen't mean she is forgotten my any meens just move forward with your life and your new bun and keep those special memmories of tilly with you. Do everything you can to avoid the myxi virus and thats all you can do

i never understood the fear of your own bun with myxi. i mean i knew how bad it was, but ive never had to deal with it myself. one of jellys babies were pts today and i honestly feel sickt ot he pit of my stomach that at 5 weeks she is dead bcus of this disgusting disease. I think bcus of the way you lost tilly you are bound to be worried, and quite rightly so. remember is shes jabbed is she catches it she can be treated xxx

aww i am sorry to hear about your loss :cry:
i know you guys and i want her soo much it is such a nice feeling to know i am saving her!! but i would be devestated if she died on got very ill :cry: i have to save her...its a risk i gotta take .....
we need each other:?
just wish myxi wasnt so high here

You just do whatever you can do to reduce the risks. Get her vaccinated, get rid of all standing water, keep the grass short and bushes trimmed back, put up mesh to keep them out and research organic ways to repell them.

You just do whatever you can do to reduce the risks. Get her vaccinated, get rid of all standing water, keep the grass short and bushes trimmed back, put up mesh to keep them out and research organic ways to repell them.

the grass short???? what about the cat around here which is full of fleas and i dont know who owns it

They hide in the grass and bushes when it is windy to keep them from blowing away. If you keep the grass short, trust me- you will have less bugs all around.

Don't know what to tell ya about the cat. Sprinkler, I guess??

Can she not be vaccinated before you get her? It takes around two weeks for the vacc to be effective.

Babies can't be vaccinated until 6 weeks but I'd guess babies would have some protection from mum if she was vacc'd.

Tam

Ahhhh. You can't change your mind now. You have learnt by what happened to Tilly, you can only do your best to minimise the risk by what everyone else is saying - vaccinate, mosquito netting (or net curtains), no stagnant water and keep the garden trimmed back. It is only what we can all do for our precious bunnies. Good luck.

Hi :wave:

I have the same prob as I picked up Barney last night (from Rabbits in Need thread) and he isn't vaccinated and I am worried. But where ever your new bun goes it will be at risk until she is vaccinated and at least you know that if it is you and not someone else who has her you will be doing everything to stop her getting it and keep her safe. I think you need each other so go for it! :bunny:

oh no :shock: 2weeks?? no there is nothing i can do..she will be coming to me on saturday straight to vets..great...i guess there is no point naming her cos she is going to get it i know she is :cry:
i will do everything in my power to prevent it though that's for sure :)

the grass short???? what about the cat around here which is full of fleas and i dont know who owns it

we had a very good article from a vet on our central news a few weeks ago, they advised using the preventative flea treatment (which would be advantage from vets only) which protects your bun from flea's and to use mozzy repelent collars attached to the outside of their hutchs. They said to enquire at your local vets about the collars but I could not find anything on the internet about them but I did go and buy the mozzy repeller coils from boots, they last 5 - 6 hours and have worked a treat in my garden;)

5-6 hrs?? is that all :shock: :roll: dammit lol i need long term!! lol thanku though i may go try them! i will speak to my vet tomorrow about preventative measures...jsut to be sure....
i dont have a lawnmower dammit!
i have been looking at a new hutch but it is expensive, its the one from argos

I found a friend an amazing hutch on ebay - was £40 with large insulated house bit with thick walls well made and then a huge run with a roof over it. Was local. But I guess you need one sooner as it took me a month or so of checking every few days to find a good one that wasn't too expensive. May be worth a quick look though?

Oh poor you Rianne. I think myxi is bad everywhere this year. I am not too far from you and I know it's always bad around here too. However, I don't think you should let it stop you having another bun if you feel you want to give a needy bun a home. I think someone else has already suggested it, but what about having her inside for a couple of weeks until her myxi jab kicks in? Most of us have lost buns on here for one reason or another, but personally, I couldn't let it stop me having more. They give more pleasure than pain, but only you know how you feel about it. Sending you a big hug....

Back