• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant but very underweight.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
A tiny 14 month old nethie girl has just arrived and according to her owner she is due Sunday :evil: She is very skinny and out of condition....I have just clipped her claws and checked her teeth out of necesity and she is now tuckin into a bowl of pellets. Her cage is covered to limit her stress levels and she has a nest box.....could stress induce her early?

Im thinking its very likely that the babies will not survive or that she will reject/cannibalise her litter (this is apparently her 3rd)......what do you reckon? Apart from feed her and leave her to her own devices I feel very helpless.

A tiny 14 month old nethie girl has just arrived and according to her owner she is due Sunday :evil: She is very skinny and out of condition....I have just clipped her claws and checked her teeth out of necesity and she is now tuckin into a bowl of pellets. Her cage is covered to limit her stress levels and she has a nest box.....could stress induce her early?

Im thinking its very likely that the babies will not survive or that she will reject/cannibalise her litter (this is apparently her 3rd)......what do you reckon? Apart from feed her and leave her to her own devices I feel very helpless.

You are doing every thing you can. In a lot of ways nature will take the correct course and it will all be out of your hands.

I am sure stress could induce her. About 18 months ago, I went to Greenfields Rescue, whilst I was there Lorna took a call about a man with 2 approx 6 month old females who were in with an unneutered male. Lorna was desperate for space, one came home with me. Within an hour of arriving home she had delivered a litter of 5 babies.

Within an hour of arriving home she had delivered a litter of 5 babies.

:shock: Maybe I should go and sit with her :shock:

I am terrified she will give birth while I am out and it may be too late by the time I get there to intervene if all is not well.

Nethies have quite small litters dont they? Strange thing is she isnt very big, tum wise, and her teats are not yet swollen. Wondering if she isnt as far along as I was told.

yes I've been wondering same - hope she's OK :shock:

My nethie Tia was very bloated when dumped in rescue - they thought she was pregnant but it was just poor diet, or no diet at all :(

Sooz has text me to say that Izzy is nesting so she should have her babies soon.

Sending vibes for Izzy and the babies that all goes well!

Nicola

I've been on tenter hooks all weekend thinking any time now.

I wonder if she has them tonight?

Monday makes her 32 days though, do rabbits go overdue??:shock:

Nicola

Back