• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help. Stray bunny.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
If this is jumbled and there are typos and it makes no sense, blame the massive dose of adrenaline coursing its way around my system.

So I'm sat at the table, sorting through my uni stuff, when there's this frantic knock at the door. And my mum answers it, I hear talking and then a wobbling 'Saaarah'. This is not an infrequent occurence - usually one of the cats around here has caught something and people see me as the animal-freak girl and i'm called to save the creature. But I heard 'rabbit' and my heart literally leapt into my throat because both my rabbits were out in their run and I thought one had gotten loose. considering Barney has made an escape attempt before and is a little monster to catch, and amber had lived wild for 2 weeks, this terrified me as it was growing dark and I couldn't imagine being able to catch either.

Turns out it was neither. No, there's a black bunny racing around outside. My neighbour almost caught it, but someone with two dogs thought he'd be smart and walk across - and of course the dogs went for it and the rabbit shot off. So I'm prowling up and down the street, crawling under parked cars. When we hear 'it's by the school!' and there's the black bunny sat by the school gates at the top of the road. We run up there - I had no idea I could still run, I'm NOT built for running anymore - and it runs into the school grounds. The problem is, they've put fencing around there so it's like a prison camp now, so there's no getting in.

I spent 15 minutes staring in - getting several dodgy looks from people who probably think I'm some yob because i'm wearing a black hoody with a skeleten on it - but no rabbit showed. Everyone seems to have seen it though, early this morning. I'm hoping it survives the night, but there are lots of foxes around here. And cats. And owls.

On the plus side, everyone knows I own rabbits and says they were going to catch it and bring it here. Is there any chance that if it takes a wander, it might find its way to my garden? :/ I know it's a long shot, but my bunnies have pooped all over the grass... would it be drawn to the scents of other rabbits? And let's just say it survives the night and is hopping around tomorrow, how can I catch it?

It may well come to your house as is natural instinct says it needs other bunnies to survive. Could you put out a spare hucth or something with some food in to attract it in?

Alternatively the RSPCA may be able to setup a humane trap for it....other than that its a good old net I would say or trying to chase it into a dark box (looks like a burrow).

In all honesty, I have no faith in the RSPCA. :/
But there's hay out on the grass. ^-^ So if it comes snooping around sniffing at where my bunnies have been, it'll find hay...

As for a net... I only own a kid's fishing net... Which worked fine when catching an injured grebe earlier this year, but I expect i'll need to find something else for a bunny. Ick. I'm all restless and antsy now.

If you can see it, try and throw a big towel or blanket over it, it's not the best option but if you get something over him/her they will stop moving so in theory you should be able to pick them up!

Good luck!

I've not seen it properly - just at a distance. :/ Apparently, the lady - my neighbours - was going to try and pick it up when Mr. Smart-*** with the dogs took a closer look, convinced he was going to scoop it up and take it home. It's very nervous, as far as I can tell.

I think I'll get up early tomorrow and have a look around. Apparently it was wandering about at 6am this morning.

Having been stray rabbit catching in the past, I'd say a net or blanket is your best option and a helper too. Looking on the bright side though there was 2 straying in my street (a cul de sac) for the best part of 2 weeks, and we have/had a lot of foxes here too. I managed to catch one with the help of some children but the other disappeared. There is a chance your stray will survive long enough for you to catch it though, dusk and dawn are your best bet. Good luck.:D

I keep telling myself that if my fluffy sweety Amber could survive two weeks wild, then a super fast black rabbit can. ^^; It can certainly move very fast, and being black I hope it will blend in far better at night... and foxes must be smelt coming from a distance...

Early start for me tomorrow, mwaha.

Back