• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Males fighting

georgia T

New Kit
I have 2 male rabbits both the same age but they are always fighting.I don't know what to do to stop them.Can you please help me!

It would help if you could describe a bit more about their age, where they live etc. If they aren't neutered, then that's the first thing to do - if they are neutered then maybe they need more space? Or maybe they aren't fighting so much as tussling for dominance a bit - do they get injured? If there's any bloodshed you need to split them as they aren't forgiving animals.

hiya there litter mates i got them at 8 weeks old and theyre about 16 weeks old now theres not so much bloodshed but they have put the odd scab on each others back

You need to have them neutered asap....some vets will operate at 16 weeks provided both their bits have dropped.

You need to keep a very close eye on them, a fight between two boys can get very nasty, very quickly. You may need to seperate them until after the operation and then try to rebond them once their hormones have settled.

Unfortunately male to male pairs are one of the worst combinations, even when littermates and once they have started to scrap it is unlikely they will ever stop completely.

Yes they need to be neutered next week really, and they must both go together or they will fight from smelling of the vets.

If you have to split them before next week (and I would if they have scabs as these can easily turn to abscesses, and like Sooz says, who knows what next?) You can get them neutered seperately (which will be easier to afford) but it will take a few months after the operation for them to calm down hormonally.

If you decide to put them back together it must be somewhere totally new, where neither of them has been, like your bathroom or a shed - and they need to be supervised there for a few days till you are sure they aren't fighting (chasing about a bit and humping is normal for dominance) - While you do this you need to totally change their hutch or cage around, really clean it well, repaint the area etc. to make a fight less likely.

Hope it works out - I had 2 neutered brothers from a rescue when I first adopted rabbits, and they were fine together :)

2 un-neutered bucks will VERY RARELY get along, so I suggest you neuter them fast, before it gets any worse. A bun I know ended up with a hole trhough his ear after figthing his 4-month-old brothers:cry: (Luckily it wasn't too big, it has now healed up)

Back