• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling to vets

niandsa

Young Bun
Hi, Please could you guys give me some pointers on what you use to get your rabbits to the vets? I have 2 'dwarf' lops who are 14 weeks old and growing fast! I got them from P@H and I suspect that the bigger of the two may actually be a frenchie. They seem to be bonding well and I would like something that I can transport them both in together.

They have been to the vets twice for their jabs in the cardboard boxes they came in without any probs. However, when I put them in them today to go to be sexed, one of them scratched and chewed a big enough hole to get out of within 2 minutes! :roll: I had to take them to the vets in the mini hutch I have in their run in the garden lol!! :):lol:

I really struggled with that and my 2 year old son - definitely need something more practical!! Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

I use the plastic cat carriers with the handles on the top.....they work brilliantly, and are lightweight!:D

How big would it need to be for 2 rabbits? I've been looking on zooplus but I'm not sure that they will be big enough. I was hoping to be able to wait until they are fully grown so I could see what size I would need but Daisy has put a stop to that!! :D

I should have seen it coming the way she rips the boxes apart I put in their hutch and run for them to play with! :D

I've got an Atlas 30 cat carrier which is plenty big enough for my two - one is small and one is medium sized bun. My carrier is plastic with a door in the front, the next time I buy one I'm going to get a top loader as its easier to get the buns in and out. Although saying that the only top loading ones I've seen are wire mesh and I think its important that the buns have a bit more covering that that, I think they'd be more scared in the all wire one as they'd be so exposed - I'm not sure top loading plastic ones exist. :roll:

I had a plastic carrier that had a door in front AND a door in the top for top loading. The top door was wire like the front one, and it always made me nervous carrying it as the handle was attached to the top wire door! The catches on the top door were just little plastic things, and I always feared they would let go one day and spring open whilst I was carrying it!!!!!:shock: :shock:

Wilkinsons do some reasonable priced ones, a medium size will do two bunnies (think £10-12). Easy to clean too as it comes in half very simply.

I have a large carrier from pets@home which has a top opening as well as a front opening which makes it so easy. My three are all fairly small rabbits but they all fit in there with room to spare so i should think it would be big enough for your two

I have a wilkos one. It only has a front door so I was worried about getting them in but the usual trick of "sniff the parsley chase the parsley "worked just fine:D

Back