• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parrot, Rabbit and Tortoise?!

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Me and my OH are seriously considering the idea of buying a house and living together properly!!

He has a Horsefield tortoise and is considering (really wants!) an African Grey Parrot.

I think the tortoise and bunny will get on ok and I doubt each would be able to harm the other (any contrary views welcomed) but what I really would like to know is if anyone has experience with rabbits and parrots living under the same roof. Obviously we would never leave them together unattended, but is there the possibility that they could become "friends"? I have read on the net that they have a very strange mutual understanding that people believe goes back thousands of years, sounds nice and romantic, wonder if it's true?!

I have seen some very sweet videos of buns and parrots on Youtube but would greatly value anyone's opinions from here.

Theax

I have 2 raabits and a parrot, they have separate living spaces but when they are in the house the parrot doesn't touch them. Although I wouldn't do it myself a lot of people who have parrots keep rabbits in the bottom of their avairies.

My buns take no notice of the tortoise at all. We don't have a parrot, but have a cockatiel, George, who isn't bothered by the dogs, but is not at all impressed with the rabbits.
If they go anywhere near his cage (them on the floor, he's about 3ft up) he hisses and spreads his wings out to make himself look bigger, and the plume on his head sticks up like a mohican :lol: :lol:
I'm sure if we'd have introduced him earlier though he would have been fine as he was hand reared for us, and parrots are really intelligent (similar to having a 3yr old child I think), so it's a possibility they could be fine if they're introduced early enough, and depending on the rabbits temperament too :)

Back