• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi - stuffed up nose

mousetarget

Young Bun
Hi everyone

Does anyone know how long a bunnys nose stays blocked up with Myxi? Our bun was not vaccinated and we are on the 8th day and have to make a decision as she is not eating or drinking anymore, we are feeding her but would like to know how long this nose stage lasts?

Hi everyone

Does anyone know how long a bunnys nose stays blocked up with Myxi? Our bun was not vaccinated and we are on the 8th day and have to make a decision as she is not eating or drinking anymore, we are feeding her but would like to know how long this nose stage lasts?

I cant say 'how long' it will last but as she was not vaccinated I fear that you may be fighting a losing battle :cry: The secondary infection may already have gone on to lungs :cry:
If she has now stopped eating and drinking I think you should get her back to the Vets this afternoon to discuss options.
I wish I could be more optomistic in this post but I am affraid I cant

:cry: :cry:

Janex

A miracle!

We were going to take her back this afternoon as you say, but we thought we'd have one last go at clearing her nose, we used a jug of boiling water for the steam and cleaned her nose for 10 minutes - she then drank some water and ate 15 dandelions on the run!!!!

We are so over the moon for this tiny positive thing but will now continue with the steam therapy every few hours. But if anyone does know how long the stuffed up nose lasts please let us know. Many thanks.

Rabbits can linger for a fortnight or more with myxi, i think a stuffy nose should be the least of your worries,as your bun is unvaccinated survival rates are slim to none.If your bun is no longer eating or drinking you should seriously consider having her put to sleep - both my rabbits who had myxi were still eating & drinking when i decided to have them pts as i knew they were not going to get better.Sorry for being blunt but you may be prolonging the innevitable at your rabbits expense :(

How long had she stopped eating and drinking? If she stopped eating and drinking and then ate all these dandelions her gut is going to go into overdrive, and that will add to her problems.

Back