• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to exersize lazy bunny

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
I have a rex buck living in (and outside) my bedroom at the moment, but I have noticed he seems to have gotten extremely lazy:shock:
He was moved in a few weeks ago because of sore paws, these have now healed but he still spends a lot of time on his pillow.
I tried opening his cage (regular indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage) to let him run freely a bit but he didn't go out.... I'm starting to wonder if he even knows where the door is. Any ideas on how to get him to go out?
By now all I've done is carry him out, but even then he often stays in the same area of my bed room.
What is wrong with him? The other two would run amock in my bedroom if given the chance (Aroma had her favourite spot behind the couch) but Sasuke is proving to be the laziest bunny I've ever met:shock: He wasn't like this before also he's turning 2 in February so it can't be old age either.
I'm starting to wonder if loneliness can be a trigger? He's previously lived outside in the hutch next to Zakura, but as I only have one indoor cage I only have room for one indoor bunny. I can't put him together with any of the does as he's not neutered (one doe is, but he keeps humping her) and I'm planning to breed him (Please don't jump on me for this:roll: I know what some of you think about breeding but I have planned this for a long time, and homeless bunnies aren't as much as a big problem here as it is in UK, last time I checked the shelter they had 2:roll: )
buret.jpg

Here's how the cage looks like, my other two (rex 3 months and dwarf rabbit) has no problems jumping in and out of it. I'm sure they could jump out of the roof if they wanted too.:roll:

Last edited:
I guess just like people you can get lazy or active rabbits. The fact is we provide them with everything they need on a plate (literally) so unlike wild rabbits they can have full bellies, a content warm bed, nice, safe environment, why move? :lol:
Some breeds in particular can be lazy, in my experience giants and yes being single could be a cause too. Radar barely moved before I got Ruby. I got her for that reason I was concerned it was not healthy for him (I'd let him out in the yard and shut the shed door and he'd stand and scratch at the shed door wanting to get back in and refused to do anything else) and sure enough having a friend has made the world of difference;) . She is very inquistive and loves exercise so often he'll follow her out of the shed and wander round a bit (mine have free range acess to the yard when I can supervise and at other times use an ajoining run to the shed via a cat flap). Sometimes my shed door can be left open all day and Radar will literally come out for 3 or 4 times and then return back to the shed. But at least they have freedom of choice and at his last vet visit Fiona was very pleased with him.

Ohhh I also find if you don't feed them the pellets first thing they are more inclined to exercise. Again, my giants tend to fill their bellies then chill! Have you tried hiding the food? Or toys? A cardboard box provides hours of fun for my group of 6. Ultimately I think a friend is in order though, even if its by a partition ;)

Put his pellets into a treat ball and make him work for them. Hide all his food under hay or around the room so he has to search it out.

I'd rather not spill so much pellets on the floor, we have carpet floor and it gets dirty very easily.:roll: Might try the snackball though, and rather scoop up the ones he doesn't eat right away:lol: Thing is... he seems to be eating slow too. I feed him 2 handfulls every night and there's usually some left in the morning, so we'll see how intrested he'll be in a snackball:roll: considering I can't have him free-ranging 24-7 without me being in the room (I have some wires lying around, most are hidden but if he wants to get to them I'm sure he can if he tries)

We have a lazy rabbit. She hops about in the house and then decides the carpet or sofa is so comfy she won't get up and run around anymore, so we get a bit of a baguette and waft it in front of her nose and she'll chase it round the room and when she's done eating it (after she's caught it from us) she runs around looking for more!

caramel is the ultimate lazy bunny.... she literally doesn't move unless it is essential. Even when she had bunny friends she would just sit and let them groom her. Since she has been single she has been grooming herslef I have noticed. I am gonna try the treat ball idea. All rabbits I have had before never stop, but Caramel never gets going. Guess we just got lazy bunnies x

Glad to see I'm not alone then:lol: I'm starting to wonder how a kit of Sasuke and Aroma would be like...She's hyperactivity in bunnyform, and by now the only rabbit I've had to jump out of her hutch (above-ground) and then Sasuke who spends his days sitting at a pillow. :roll:

Back