• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new companion?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but I'm trying to get my head around it.

I took my 6 month old boys Flip & Flop to the vets today to be neutered and unfortunately Flip passed away during his operation. Flop seems to be fine (although I'm probably fussing over him far too much!) but I'm starting to think ahead about getting him a new companion as Flip was his litter mate so he's never been alone before :(

I go away on placement on Monday for 6 weeks (so Mum is going to be on bunny duty - she loves them as much as me), but I'd like to get him a friend as soon as possible after that - does that sound a reasonable length of time to leave it?

I'd like to get him a spayed girlfriend (don't think I could go through the op thing again in the near future) - so can anyone advise me on places that would be willing to adopt to me with my set up - a 5ftx2ftx2ft (each floor) double decker run, with an attached 5ftx5ft run?

I'm also stressed about the whole bonding thing - so do any rescues do a bunny dating/bonding service? I'm near Kendal in Cumbria, but will happily travel as long as it doesn't stress Flop out too much to do so.

All help/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks xxx

Hi! :wave: There is a really good article on the best ways of introducing/pairing rabbits here:

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Maybe when some of the other members come online their rabbit rescue centres will be near you in the lake district if not they will know of some as there seem to be loads and loads all over the country with lots of lovely bunnies looking for a new home!:D

Hi I'm sorry you lost one of your boys:(
I think a bereaved bunny is better bonded as soon as possible, I don't know of any rescues near you but if you do a search for your nearest on RR I'm sure a bunny run could be arranged..any decent rescue will give you lots of advice on bonding if it is not possible for you to travel to the place itself. And most rescues neuter all their animals:D
Good luck in your search!

Awww...I'm sorry you lost one of your boys. Although you know there is a risk when any small animal goes under the anaesthetic, you just hope it doesn't happen to one of yours.

Take care and good luck in finding a new companion xx

Thanks for all the advice.:D Obviously I need to leave Flop on his own until his wound has healed, but do I need to wait until his hormones have settled down as well before I introduce him to a girlfriend? If so how long will that take? Just been having a shufty about and there's an animal sanctuary in Lancaster, so might give them a ring tomorrow (if I can do it without bursting into tears :oops: :roll:) and see whether I meet their requirements.

We leave boys two weeks before bonding them with a speyed doe....an unspeyed doe would need 6 weeks to ensure he was no longer fertile.

Back