• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to give up with Myxi?

mousetarget

Young Bun
Hi

I was wondering if you could help. We have a lopped eared bunny with myxi, shes had it now for 7 days and has been eating and drinking well, in the last day or so she has developed a really stuffed up nose and is finding it hard to breathe, but she is still eating a little, drinking and grooming herself which we find amazing. We have her on Metacam and Baytril as well as a powder to decongest her nose which we started on today, we bathe her eyes regularly with black tea and have a sweet oil in the hutch to help her nose. We've kept her living area very warm as we believe this helps keep the virus at bay. Our question is - now she is having trouble breathing is it time to give up? - will her nose get better soon? We are going through emotional turmoil as what to do for the best?

So sorry to hear that your bun has got myxi :cry:

May I ask if the little darling was vaccinated, and if so, how long ago? The reason I ask is that it has a significant bearing on the prognosis :cry: and we will be better placed to advise if we know this.

Try having a bowl of Vicks vapour rub disolved in hot water near by but out of her reach, that should help with the stuffy nose

Hi

I was wondering if you could help. We have a lopped eared bunny with myxi, shes had it now for 7 days and has been eating and drinking well, in the last day or so she has developed a really stuffed up nose and is finding it hard to breathe, but she is still eating a little, drinking and grooming herself which we find amazing. We have her on Metacam and Baytril as well as a powder to decongest her nose which we started on today, we bathe her eyes regularly with black tea and have a sweet oil in the hutch to help her nose. We've kept her living area very warm as we believe this helps keep the virus at bay. Our question is - now she is having trouble breathing is it time to give up? - will her nose get better soon? We are going through emotional turmoil as what to do for the best?

Hello

I am so sorry to hear that your Bun has Myxi :cry:
My *personal* opinion is that if a Bun has not been vaccinated against Myxi within the 6 months prior to contracting the virus then I would not attempt treatment as it is extremely unlikely to have a good outcome despite aggressive antibiotic therapy :cry:
If the Bun *has* been vaccinated then I would continue to treat whilst Bun was still eating/pooping and not depressed.
I would keep in close contact with the Vet treating your Bun as you and the Vet are really the only ones who are in a position to decide what to do in the best interests of your Bun.

This year really has been dreadful as far as Myxomatosis is concerned :cry:

Janex

didnt one of the wonderful rescue ladies on here move her myxo buns into a steamy bathroom to help with the breathing?

Myxi

Many thanks for the advice.

She hasn't been vaccinated, but she is a very strong rabbit and we have had the medication right from day one and a heated room constantly. I think we'll try the heated bathroom with steam.

Its just we don't want her to continue struggling to breathe if this part of the disease lasts for weeks, but then we read buns can go through that phase quickly? - shes still eating a little and grooming...help!

Gosh, its a toughie.

One thing I can suggest, from experience - try a baby nasal apirator if your rabbits nose is blocked . It really did remove some gunk from my rabbits nose.

I am afraid it is a day by day situation. I really wish you well having been through it myself on more than one occasion.

Cara

Many thanks for the advice.

She hasn't been vaccinated, but she is a very strong rabbit and we have had the medication right from day one and a heated room constantly. I think we'll try the heated bathroom with steam.

Its just we don't want her to continue struggling to breathe if this part of the disease lasts for weeks, but then we read buns can go through that phase quickly? - shes still eating a little and grooming...help!

Sadly with full blown Myxi it is the *internal* damage the virus causes that proves to be fatal in most cases :cry: This includes pneumonia, despite antibiotics from day 1 of contracting the virus :cry: Even if the abx get on top of the pneumonia the Bun will most likely succumb to Kidney Failure.

Only you and your Vet can make the decision for your Rabbit. But for me, as previously stated, I would not attempt treatment on an unvaccinated Rabbit

Very Best wishes for whatever you decide for your poor Bun :cry:

Janex

I'm so sorry your rabbit has myxi :cry: As has been said above unvaccinated buns have a very poor prognosis I'm afraid. However, I would go by your rabbit and day by day and in consulation with your vet - I'm sure they wouldn't continue treatment if it was a lost cause. Be honest with your vet about your feelings and use their judgement too. I'm not sure if it's possible to get myxi 'mildly'. Good luck with it

Day by Day

Many thanks to everyone for their advice.

Its very tough knowing the best thing to do, we'll see how her nose is today and if she eats anything and then make the decision. Our advice to anyone who does have a rabbit who gets myxi and they have not been vaccinated is to put them down straight away, it really is the kindest thing you can do.

Back