• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor bunny being neutered help

sazixd

Warren Scout
im going to be getting biffy my female bunny neutered soon but one of the things im not sure about is
do i need to bring her inside and if so,should i bring benny in with her for a while too :?
any help would be greatly appreciated:)

just had Alvin done, the advice from my vets was, atleast the night of the op to be bought inside and atleast 2 weeks away from other rabbits and animals... hes a house bun and was definately out of it for 2-3 days so had he been an outdoor bun id have kept him in for the week probably... hes still not allowed to run around crazy until he gets signed off next week...

hiya i had domino my by neutured 2 months ago and he was indoors for three days, to recover.

peanut butter was neutured friday and he is still indoors as he had alot of trouble, so its different for each bun. but i would defatinatly keeop him inside for at least two nights. keep a close eye on his stitches cus peanut pulled his out and that meant an emegency trip to the vet!

i wouldnt recommend bringing another rabbit indoors as she will be sore,

benny was neutered not long after i got them so i could put them back together again after being left to bred through missexing by their old owners.
will benny be ok outside without her for a few days till she recovers.

I would keep them together for the entire thing - including taking them to the vets - unless there is a specific reason they need to be separated such as he keeps bothering her.

ARC rescue who post on here say they always take bonded buns to the vets together and they tend to recover much more quickly when they retain the familiarity and comfort of their bonded companion. Plus of course buns can lose their bond quite quickly if separated.

She will need to be indoors at least overnight, maybe two or three depending on how she is, but personally I would not separate them unless he is bothering her.

Yes, I'd definitely have them both together indoors. Even if you find you have to temporarily put a partition between them or something it helps them to have each other to sniff, lick etc.

I would keep them together for the entire thing - including taking them to the vets - unless there is a specific reason they need to be separated such as he keeps bothering her.

ARC rescue who post on here say they always take bonded buns to the vets together and they tend to recover much more quickly when they retain the familiarity and comfort of their bonded companion. Plus of course buns can lose their bond quite quickly if separated.

She will need to be indoors at least overnight, maybe two or three depending on how she is, but personally I would not separate them unless he is bothering her.

Totally agree with what Alison says, all of our foster homes always keep our buns together even when they go to the vets for all reasons. When I first started fostering I would separate them, for many years we have kept them together and I can definately confirm that they recover quicker with a friend than when they are alone. I have never had to separate any due to them niggling at each other, although I would suggest that you monitor them together and separate only if there is a problem.

i know im not a rabbit and i know the male op isnt as invasive as the female one but do you think my Alvin has bounced back so well because he wasnt left alone for the first two nights?? a sort of substitute bonded pal?, my shift was friday night and the fella sat with him on sat....id like to think we helped his recovery just by being in the same room talking to him.....and he does seem more relaxed with us than before, i even still get the running around my feet and buzzzing... will that go now hes got no hormones :(

I would have to agree that they do better with a friend. My two boys were nuetered the same day (last Fri) as Donna's and MissySJ's buns, and have bounced back in comparison. I only kept them inside the first night, but have kept their movements restricted until yesterday when they got the all clear. They were kept together the whole time, even in the vets.

I used a fireguard from Argos against the wall. Just big enough for litter tray, small vet bed and food, with newspaper on the floor. Sufficient for a night or two especially if you need to restrict movement anyway, not a long term solution. I normally use the fire guard around my computer desk to stop them getting to all the wires.

I didn't know that you had to keep them in overnight after the op. I'm getting my buns done in about one-two months. What do I need to prepare them? Isn't the temperature change not going to do them any good? It'll be around november-december time.

I didn't know that you had to keep them in overnight after the op. I'm getting my buns done in about one-two months. What do I need to prepare them? Isn't the temperature change not going to do them any good? It'll be around november-december time.

I think being outside after the anasthetic will be worse for them, as they will be very sleepy, and I dont think they can regulate their temp as well as usually. But check with your vet.

Mine are used to coming inside anyway so the experience didnt stress them. If yours arent, it might be worth introducing them to the environment before the op.

You can buy a dog crate for around £50 or maybe less on ebay, they are always useful for emergencies where buns need to be indoors - or one of the bigger ferplast cages if your buns are small.

Lionheadluver - your two will definitely need to be indoors after their ops - rexes don't have the same thick fur as other buns so if they can't regulate their temperature properly due to the anaesthetic they will get very cold indeed. You may need to consider acclimatising them again slowly, e.g. putting them back out on a warmish winter morning with a hot snugglesafe until they are used to it. If they are only in for a couple of days they won't have moulted their winter coat but as rexes they won't have much of one anyway so you will need to make sure they are extra cosy!

if i was to buy a dog crate what about exercise.could i put them in their run for a few hours every day aswell.

She should really be brought inside with her bunnyfriend. You don't want to risk breaking the bond, and apart from that you want to avoid seperation stress. Are you able to let her companion stay at the vet's during the op? If not, when you bring her back, rub your hand through the hutch and over her hutch mate and then over her to try to remove some of the strange vet smell. I always use a 4' dog crate post-op and it works well. She won't want to move around much for the first day or two so won't need much space anyway.

if i was to buy a dog crate what about exercise.could i put them in their run for a few hours every day aswell.
I would keep the post-op bun indoors for a couple of days..you don't want her to tear about for a wee while. Could you let them run around in a small area indoors i.e. the bathroom or a small hallway?

i dont see why they wouldnt let them be together but the thing that would be worrying is what benny will be like when shes still coming round and all she wants to do is sleep instead of playing.do you think hel be ok in a dog crate with her for a few days too.
is there any chance youl have a picture of what type of crate you had :)

I would keep the post-op bun indoors for a couple of days..you don't want her to tear about for a wee while. Could you let them run around in a small area indoors i.e. the bathroom or a small hallway?

yeah i could bunny proof my room and shut the cats out not that theyl like that idea:p

Back