• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are vets open saturdays??

rianne23

Mama Doe
hi :wave: guys,
was meant to be picking up this little girl
phonepiccies202.jpg

was meant to be friday, but the man has decided it will be saturday....i had her booked in for her myxi and vhd friday...i didn't really want to bring her home, leave her open to mxyi for 2 whole days and then take her monday...not after tilly getting myxi and dying :cry:

what do i do??

Rianne

Yes some are open, also some on a Sunday. Call them tomorrow to check their opening times in your area.

My vets are open on saturday but I guess it depends on the practice so perhaps it is best to call around?

If you cant find one thats open can you not keep her inside for a few days?

Is she meant to be getting both myxi and VHD done on the same day as I thought they were meant to be done 2 weeks apart? Check with a few vets when calling around for opening hours how they do their jabs.

Vicki

My vets are open on saturday but I guess it depends on the practice so perhaps it is best to call around?

If you cant find one thats open can you not keep her inside for a few days?

Is she meant to be getting both myxi and VHD done on the same day as I thought they were meant to be done 2 weeks apart? Check with a few vets when calling around for opening hours how they do their jabs.

Vicki

really? :shock: they have booked her in for both....

they take two weeks to bulid up an immunity, would probably be safer to keep her indoors until the vaccinations start to work... the myxo and VHD jabs are two weeks apart too...

I would defo call around for other vets then as doesn't sound like they are bunny friendly. Also as they dont know about vaccinating them 2 weeks apart the chances are they wont know how to administer the myxi jab properly. Someone on here will give a better explanation but 10% has to be given in the skin as oposed to under it. Test the vets when you call them and check how they do the myxi jab.

I would defo call around for other vets then as doesn't sound like they are bunny friendly. Also as they dont know about vaccinating them 2 weeks apart the chances are they wont know how to administer the myxi jab properly. Someone on here will give a better explanation but 10% has to be given in the skin as oposed to under it. Test the vets when you call them and check how they do the myxi jab.

noo noooo please please whatever you say dont say that :cry: no please....i knew they just gave up on tilly when i took her in. i bet they could have saved her :cry:

The data sheet for the myxomatosis vaccine says "No information is available on the safety and efficacy of the concurrent use of Nobivac Myxo with any other. It is therefore recommended that no other vaccines should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with Nobivac Myxo."

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/intervet_uk_ltd/nobivac_myxo/-29532.html

In other words - they haven't done any tests to check whether the safety and/or effectiveness of the vaccine is affected if the VHD vaccine is done at the same time - so they should be done 2 weeks apart.

If your vets don't know this, I would definitely suggest going to a different vet. Maybe it's worth ringing again to clarify whether they do them at the same time - it could just be a receptionist booking it, and the vet would tell you otherwise when you actually went in. If they do say that they do them both the same day, I'd tell them that the data sheets tell them not to, and that you will find another vet thank you very much! I do believe it's worth telling them though, as unless it's pointed out to them, they will continue with that practice and potentially put other buns at risk :cry:

My vets are open on a sat and vacs were given two weeks apart. He insisted on it. So I would say if your vet wants to do both at same time, I'd go elsewhere for definite then report him :evil: I hate it when people who trained for as long as vets do don't know what they are doing and we supposed to be able to trust them.

My vets are open on a sat and vacs were given two weeks apart. He insisted on it. So I would say if your vet wants to do both at same time, I'd go elsewhere for definite then report him :evil: I hate it when people who trained for as long as vets do don't know what they are doing and we supposed to be able to trust them.

:shock: me too coas if it wasnt for you guys i would have merriliy just gona along and done it...the receptionist told me its cheaper to have them done together :shock: :roll:

That is absolutely APPALLING!!!!!:shock: :evil: :evil: I would SO be reporting them!!! :evil:

My vet is open on a Saturday, too. And they also give the jabs two weeks apart.....and explain to people WHY they have to be given two weeks apart!

That is absolutely APPALLING!!!!!:shock: :evil: :evil: I would SO be reporting them!!! :evil:

My vet is open on a Saturday, too. And they also give the jabs two weeks apart.....and explain to people WHY they have to be given two weeks apart!

OMG so in theory they would have killed my new bunny..

guys i feel sick..i think they gave up on tilly too quickly when i took her there...for a start they broadcasted tilly had myxi infront of the whole waiting room to me.....:cry:

try this website

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/System/FAVSearch.asp?NodeID=89660

i was already with my practice but i am very happy that they go that extra bit for exotics :)

This site gives you a list of the vets available. There are 2 vets listed on that list for my area which are small animal acredited ... I would only take an animal to them to be euthased but not treated for anything! According to my postcode there are no vets in my area, even though I have a super vet within 5 minutes walk!

Another point is that these vets are actually surgeries and do not in any way reflect the person who works there, you may have one very good vet, the others may not be as knowledgable or may have no interest in small animals.

Another point is that these vets are actually surgeries and do not in any way reflect the person who works there, you may have one very good vet, the others may not be as knowledgable or may have no interest in small animals.

I think thats true of most surgeries, I have two good vets out of 4 but during emergencies you cant pick who you see.

Our vet runs two saturday surgeries 9-10am and 2-3pm.

My vets open on Saturdays until about 1pm thats all.But they wont do VHD and MYXI if they are a decent vet as they are meant to be two weeks apart x

:shock: me too coas if it wasnt for you guys i would have merriliy just gona along and done it...the receptionist told me its cheaper to have them done together :shock: :roll:

:wave: I'd give them a call and double check - she may have meant that by paying for the two together it works out cheaper rather than actually getting them done at the same time as I know a few vets charge a bit less if getting both done "together " rather than seperately. :D

Back