• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meat Flies

elve

Banned
Those horrible black/blue bottles are now finding shelter in our sheds, playhouses and hutches :evil: So have a thorough look round the eaves and all the little corners - 2 massive black meat flies in my bunny shed at lock-up - I couldn't believe it and I don't know how they got in - maybe crawled under the door :shock: They are very slow now it's cold, so needless to say they didn't live long - I sprayed them, picked them up in kitchen roll and flushed them down the loo as they are so big I can't squish them - yuk :?

If they are allowed to hibernate then the first mild day in spring they wake up and there they are right in with your bunnies :? Mozzies do the same :evil:

That must be why I found LOADS of mozzies in my shed this evening - in my bag of compost too! Thought they had got trapped in there but I guess not!

Just found 2 more meat flies in the shed this morning :shock: Where are they coming from? :? Luckily they are so dozy I can pick them up, so I doubt they have the energy to attack the girls, but I'm worried :(

Sounds a bit gross but have you checked around the garden for dead animals? The only time we get bluebottles around here are after the neighbours put down rat poison and the rats die in our floorboards/wall cavities :?

Sounds a bit gross but have you checked around the garden for dead animals? The only time we get bluebottles around here are after the neighbours put down rat poison and the rats die in our floorboards/wall cavities :?

Yeah I did wonder as there's an unused coal bunker under the shed window, and my neighbour's very free with the rat poison - will check it out :?

Meanwhile it's warmed up enough that bluebottles are flying around in the sun on the patio - I'm soooooo glad I got those 4 out of the shed or my girls would be sharing with some predators today :shock:

I have lots of fruit trees which attract them :? So I have to go round everyday picking up and picking off any rotten ones. Its mainly the blackberries that attract them which is annoying as we all love them so much, inc the buns! The figs are dropping like mad now too!

Can you hang fly paper or get one of those electric bug zapping lamps to attract them? I've had to get one of the lamps for indoors as we had lots of tiny flies around and it seems to be working so far. I got sick of trying to capture them mid-flight! :lol: Hope they leave your bunnies alone :( Nasty flies!

Aha! Well I HOPE I've solved the problem :shock: Found another meat fly on the floor near my girls :shock: :shock: :shock: but writhing around dying :? Just like the wasps that were infesting the shed a couple of months back :? So I figured they must be getting in the same way as the wasps - through tiny holes in the mortar :shock: I had blocked all the wasp holes with plasticine, but up the other end of the shed is a sunny wall where the meat flies like to sit outside, plotting how to kill my bunnies :evil: And sure enough, when I braved the 2 GIGANTIC spiders sitting over my head - and poked some hay into several tiny holes, some of them went right through to the cavity :shock: So these horrible flies are overwintering in the wall cavity :shock: And some of them dragged their horrible hairy bodies into my bunny shed :evil: Out with the plasticine again :roll: Rabbits chewing my boots wondering where supper was :roll: I hope there aren't any more in the morning or I'll be flummoxed :? Does anyone use the word flummox any more? :? :wave:

I love my bug zapper things, I have 2 down stairs and each time I hear it bzzzzt I laugh manically

BZZZT MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:evil:

Evil flys will not get to my ratties or bunnies!

Back