• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I bring them in over Bonfire Night/month?

Do I bring them in overnight?

• Total voters

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if I should bring my buns in overnight through the firework season. They are quite nervous buns to any sudden noise so I'm quite worried about them. I heard that you shouldn't bring them in overnight because of the sudden change in temperature. Is this true? If not, when shall I start bringing them in?

The only reason I voted yes was because - I will have any excuse to have my buns sleep in bed with me :lol: .
But seriously... if you really think they wont cope then bring them in, surprisingly they cope very well... and if you have to bring them in, why dont you bring them into the coldest room in the house, so it wont be too much of a shock.

My buns are indoor buns now, but last year they weren't. I found Dusty was getting really stressed, whereas Clover seemed fine with it, so over about 3 nights, I brought them in. I was really nervous though, because of the climate change, so I had the windows wide open in the kitchen, and basically froze! :lol: So, I'd say see how they go - the fireworks start so early this year, that you'll hopefully be able to guage the situation before the really loud ones around 5th.

If it was just one night, I would say yes. But here you can buy fireworks from now onwards, and there are many idiots who can't wait until Bonfire night. You also have Diwali, 3 or 4 days of very noisy evenings. In central London we had fireworks almost every night for several months. My bunnies are not bothered by the noise, and we live in an area with rather sensible people. Not sure where you live, but if it isn't too bad there, I would leave them outside. Maybe cover their hutch with something dark, so that they can't see the flashing lights.

Mine are fine on bonfire night - hutches covered as usual - as they've had weeks of fireworks going off to get used to it - they really don't seem bothered and would probably be more unsettled if I brought them into the house and changed their routine :)

They are covered with a duvet cover at night. We have many fireworks for about two months. I think I shall put some tarpaulin over the hutch and see how that goes.

I don't bring my lot in on Bonfire night. I think my lot feel safer in their own environment and as long as the windows of the playhouse are covered, they seem ok.

I voted "no". I've worried about my rabbits before and we have some incredibly loud bangs near us! Went out to check on them during one of the nearer displays the first year I had them, and they acted as if nothing at all was going on! They obvously knew it wasn't a theat to them! Don't worry about them anymore. Also you won't always know what nights there are going to be fireworks, we've had a few this summer and also on new years!

I guess each animal is different, what's the case with mine might not be the same for yours! But as someone has said they will prob feel more secure in their normal surroundings!

I voted no, I think its more risky to take them in and out of different temperatures plus they will be exposed to the fireworks for a good month with it bein heightened over the guy fawkes weekend so im sure they will be fine, just ensure they are well covered and maybe even pad out the hutch with pillows(tie them to outside with bicycle hooks) on guy fawkes night to 'sound proof' it a little, wont stop the noise but will muffle it a bit.

Mine have always been fine just being covered over with a heavy carpet off cut :D

I do hate the fireworks though, stress to animals and polluting the atmosphere :evil:

I've also voted no. I was prepared to bring mine in last year just in case, but during the week running up to bonfire night there were some flashes and bangs which didn't seem to bother them at all. As others have already said, just put something in front of the hutch so they are not startled by sudden flashes. If you decide to bring them indoors and let them live in the bathroom there's no need to use the hutch...they'll be happy with their litter tray and a box of hay. When I brought mine in around Xmas(Bournville had been unwell) they used the bathroom as their "base" and seemed quite unfazed by the change.

I voted 'no' - Daisy is a really nervous bunny but since we got them they have only ever been brought in on one bonfire night and that was because we were going out so I knew they were safe and for some strange reason I left the radio on for them at a low volume.:oops:

The reason I voted no is because the fireworks don't just happen on one night of the year, they sometimes start in October and go on until the new year, intermittently so bringing them in for one night seems a bit silly and they are outdoor bunnies and belong outdoors.

I do however put a hessian backed carpet up against their hutch so that they can't see any flashes and I hope it makes them feel safer.

I voted no as I was surprised to see none of mine were bothered about the bangs last year. Mine are covered each night anyway, but I'll just make sure that hutches and shed windows are covered so there's no flashing lights etc but they all seemed fine with the noise. x

I'd say it depends on the rabbit.
I only have room for one bunny indoors, so last time I took Sasuke inside (he is the most nervous of the two I had back then) and put a towel over Zakura's hutch.
It might be a good idea to cover up the hutch;) So they won't have to be scared by the flashing lights at least.
(I hate it that they have to send up fireworks absolutely everywhere, no escape for those of us who doesn't like them. I don't mind them that much, it's pretty and all, but it would have been much better if they were all gathered at one place, instead of everyone sending up from their houses)

Back