• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone tried Oxbow Eco-Straw litter?

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
Anyone tried it? I've just seen it at The Hay Experts.

It's compressed pellets of high fibre wheat straw, therefore safe to be eaten. Apparently it's twice as absorbent as newspaper-based litter and will absorb 300% of its weight in moisture. It's heat treated too, so mite and insect free.

It sounds ideal for Rosie as she eats any cardboard and paper. We used to use Carefresh but after she had stasis a couple of times, our vet advised removing all card and paper from her. That seemed to do the trick (until her stasis episode recently) so at the moment we just use hay in her tray, which is safe, but messy and unabsorbent :rolleyes:

The Eco-Straw seems expensive, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried it, and if so, would you recommend it?

It's not very much - my huge bags of Easibed are 25 kg, and they only last about 2 weeks!

Is Megazorb not safe then? The Carefresh I am using at the moment is great but it's gone within a few days. I've only had them four days and I've already had to buy some more. Is Back2Nature any good? It says it is hard for them to nibble. What about Bio-Catolet? It also says that it's completely natural so if a little is eaten, it doesn't matter.

Bio Catolet is pretty foul stuff, in my view. It says it's natural, but it is really perfumey.

Not sure if Megazorb and Carefresh are safe to ingest or not - in theory they are OK, but if they swell up they might not be.

I'm not sure, but I think Back 2 Nature is a paper based one very similar to Bob Martin cat litter (very good for small animals). It could, in theory, have the same problems.

But, to be honest, I don't think anyone really knows that it's a problem. All I know is that once when my bunnies had stasis, a vet commented that there was some megazorb in the poos, which surprised me, as they must have eaten it with the hay by accident.

we don't have hay in the litter tray and I don't think I have seen them eat it. I'm reducing their food at the minute, so do you think they may try some litter? It says on Back2Nature that it's so compact that it's hard to nibble on.

Might be worth a try - some bunnies nibble on everything (it's their natural instinct to graze), but others don't touch the litter.

You might find you are able to encourage more hay eating by putting it in the litter tray - they like to munch at their own level and while they are erm... pooing! :lol:

oh right. They have a hay rack next to their litter tray so they can eat their hay whilst pooing. They like to sit in the hay rack too. I'll try some Back2Nature next time I order.

:wave:

LionheadLuver - I'm sure most litters aren't a problem if bunnies nibble the occasional piece - but Rosie used to sit and dig through the hay, pick out the Carefresh and munch away on it :roll: She would also tuck into a cardboard box if she had access to one. It's fine for them to chew cardboard but not really advisable for them to ingest large quantities.

Hay in the litter tray, on top of the litter, is generally a good idea, so they can munch on it whilst busy, like Sarah said!

Sarah - the Easibed sounds interesting, and much better value. Still think she might eat it though :? Hmmm, will definitely keep it in mind :) It sounds as if the Eco-Straw wouldn't last very long :?

Helen, I can send you a handful of the Easibed if you want to see what it's like?? Or I can take a piccy!!

Back