• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recurrent stasis :-(

Fionabun

Mama Doe
It appears that my bunnies problems with recurrent stasis are beginning all over again following their completion of Panacur. I am convinced that mild EC can cause gastrointestinal complaints in bunnies. I am also convinced that the colder weather doesn't help.

For those that know my story my bunnies developed problems with their bellies last September and there was an occasional finding of molar spurs which lead me to give them dentals very regularly. This was until one bunny developed full blown EC and they were all treated with Panacur and all got better. :shock:

Things have been great over the summer but we decided to give them another 6 week shot of Panacur just there as there were lots of GI upsets going on a couple of months back again, NO changes in environment, diet, just the same old pattern re-emerging. Elimination of certain vegetables, doing things differently with feeding regimes hasn't made the blindest bit of difference, I've had a years worth of experimentation. I'm bleaching everything meticulously to try to make sure the bug is killed but I just don't think Panacur and anti-inflams kill EC. We gave them the 6 weeks course instead of 28 days because no evidence could be found of why 28 days is recommended when we know it takes 6 weeks for the EC parasite to die

To make matters worse, my partner and I have separated and I am back at my parents, bunnies are still at my home and I am visiting them 3-4 times a day, didn't seem fair to uplift them at the moment, since I will be moving to a new home and so they will come with me when I get a new place hopefully in the next 6 weeks. Fortunately he is good at spotting a bunny in trouble and calls me pronto to let me know.

So its Nell who needs vibes at the moment, who knows what one it will be tomorrow.

Lets start a campaign making people aware that EC can hurt bunny bellies. Vets don't seem to know much. Mine isn't too bad

Last edited:
Oh no - so sorry to hear they are bad again. Poor Nell. :(

Well you know I certainly need no convincing on the EC causing frequent stasis thing! And I totally agree - my vet was actually very good, and tested mine as having EC in the absence of all other normal EC symptoms (actually on the basis of 'it does terrible damage to internal organs, so who knows what it might do to their digestive system').

The only other thing you might want to try now is the Ivomec (oral ivermectin given once, then 7 days later, then not for 3 months). Mine are finishing their Panacur in a couple of days :)()

And, I know, like me you've tried everything around different ways of feeding etc. But I believe my bunnies' main problems now are from permanent damage, and I have had some degree of success by feeding in very small quantities at any one time (obviously apart from hay).

Oh, I agree re. the colder weather too. Mine have been much better (and easier to keep an eye on) indoors (but I know that isn't an option for you).

I really hope things get more settled for you soon - not just for the bunnies, but for yourself too. x

Last edited:
Thanks Sarah! Our stories have been so similar and it really was your story that made me review things with my vet. I feel so terrible about the possible number of unneccessary GAs I gave mine thinking it was clear cut dental problems. Interesting about the feeding little and often though, Thanks again for the reminder about the Ivomec

The feeding thing really is in the tiniest quantities and then an hour's break before the next stage. I guess they are still eating the same quantities of pellets and veggies, but eating more like a wild rabbit should by not gorging. :?

Wish I could help more - we should set up a hospital for our dodgy-tummied bunnies! x

Lots of vibes.

Are your bunnies on pellets or mix?

My lot had bouts of stasis all the time when they were on pellets, now I've switched them back to Wagg Bunnytime Complete and they really have improved lots.

Oh NO! I am SO sorry to hear that this is recurring again.:cry: :cry: Poor Nell.....sending HUGE hugs, nose rubs, and TONS of vibes to her. Also sending vibes to the rest that they stay well. Poor buns......poor YOU. ::HUGS:: XXXXX

(((((((((( VIBES ))))))))))

I'm so sorry Nell isn't well again Fiona, and sorry that things are a bit stressful for you at the mo too.
Sending lots of vibes for Nell and for you too. Take care x x x

Oh no Fiona - I'm so sorry to hear things are difficult at the moment - for you and for Nell :(

I've missed seeing you on the forum and was wondering if things were OK.

It's very strange what you and Sarah have been experiencing, and it does look like there are implications for the gut with EC :(

What a stressful experience - sending vibes for Nell and the other buns and for you too xx

I'm so sorry things have been so hard with the buns, and having to move. I too have to deal with rather frequent stasis with 2 EC buns so I know how heart breaking and frustrating it is. My rabbit savvy vet said there are studies out of Germany on new treatments for EC which I will find out about next time and post what she says. Hope things start to improve soon xxx

Hi Fiona,

Sorry to hear Nell isn't right again.

I have been using Protexin profibre pellets to keep my dental bunnies tums ticking over. Some bunnies will eat the actual plellets if they're mixed in with their food. If not I grind the pellets up and mix the powder in with a syringe feed and it helps to get essential fibre into them.

Thinking of you both.

Love and hugs xxx

Back