• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outside shelter?

GregTheBunny

Warren Scout
I am a new bunny mummy and am worried about it being too cold. I have 2 12/13 weeks old buns, one girl one boy, so have segregated the hutch and run, should i be giving them a shelter for during the day when they are in the run? also, is it time to start using straw to keep them warmer?

Also as another question, is it ok to give them cauliflower leaves?

cauliflower leaves are no different to cabbage, so if they've eaten cabbage that's fine.

Straw - I've never used it as it's not very comfortable - just give extra hay for bedding.

Shelter in run - my rabbits sleep in their hutches from about 12-4 as it's when they eat their poops - they don't really need to be in a run then, so if you have to leave them in it all day, give them a small hutch or wooden box full of hay, or maybe one of those covered cat litter trays if it doesn't blow around - and put some boards around a couple of sides of the run so the wind doesn't blow right through. Make sure you strip the roofing felt off any hutch or box though - my bunny Pepsi died from nibbling it.

cauliflower leaves are no different to cabbage, so if they've eaten cabbage that's fine.

Straw - I've never used it as it's not very comfortable - just give extra hay for bedding.

Shelter in run - my rabbits sleep in their hutches from about 12-4 as it's when they eat their poops - they don't really need to be in a run then, so if you have to leave them in it all day, give them a small hutch or wooden box full of hay, or maybe one of those covered cat litter trays if it doesn't blow around - and put some boards around a couple of sides of the run so the wind doesn't blow right through. Make sure you strip the roofing felt off any hutch or box though - my bunny Pepsi died from nibbling it.

oh sorry hun, poor pepsi, great advice thanks, will give them something to sleep in temporarily as its a combi hutch run so when i no longer need to segregate them they will be able to get into their hutch themsleves.

thanks though

oh no, my little hidey i made for rabbits has lots of roofing felt on to make it water proof. do they normally eat it or was it an unfortunate accident for your rabbit?

Well my 2 boys are/were manic chewers - I can't even give Benny cardboard boxes to play with, and bunny toys - it all gets eaten :shock: May have just been a quirk of theirs, but keep an eye out for tiny bits nibbled off.

I just fill the bedroom part of the hutches with hay right to the top in winter and give them heatpads :D Also I wrap up the hutches to keep them warm with blankets under their waterproof sheets.

I have the small animal house. It has roofing felt. I wouldn't like to take it off, because it's waterproof and the buns sometimes sit on it.

Back