• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I make sure buns are warm enough

Stanley's Mom

Warren Scout
Well woke up this morning and there was ice on my car windows. :shock:
My buns are in a shed with vinyl floor. I have put in a bedding box with a hole cut out just big enough for the buns to get through. They just drag all the hay out of the box and lay on the floor. Surely they won't be warm enough. Has anyone got any tips on insulating a shed. I have lined the shed with weld mesh and I was thinking of putting bubble wrap in between the wire and shed. Do you think this would make it warmer? I wanted them to use the bedding box because it would sheild them from any draft. Do you think that they will use it if it gets too cold? I know I'm a worrier but I wouldn't like them to be cold.

My shed floor's concrete, so it's really cold - plus I only shut the window (just open a crack as it's damp) when it's below zero. They have a patio chair to sit on, and a big cardboard box, which I renew weekly as they chew holes in it till it collapses - 2 big litter boxes (guinea pig cage bases) with hay in out of the draughts, and I put a sheet of pet fleece in when it's really cold too - they've been fine for 2 yrs as they snuggle up together and also grow a nice thick coat in winter :)

from my experiance bunnys do better in the winter than they do in the summer but if your really worried try greenhouse heaters i hear they do the trick

I bought some proper insulation stuff from B&Q that they use for immersion heaters. It is like bubble wrap with a silver jacket. HUGE roll of it. I am hoping that will keep them warm when it gets cold.

I've got a 'Snugglesafe' which I used to use with my single female, even if she didnt sleep near it, I like to think at least the heat was there in the hutch when it was freezing outside. She was a real chewer but only left a few scratches on it then never bothered again.

I think when you have more than one bun, they snuggle up and share body heat, but if it gets really cold, you could always have a separate box with a Snugglesafe in, at least they'll have the option of using it if they want. Theyre less than £20 and are good for poorly buns, cats, dogs or even using yourself!

I've stuck some radiator reflective insulation stuff around my buns hutch. Its basically polystyrene covered with aluminium foil and I got 2 rolls of it from B & Q or Homebase for about £12. I put the reflective side towards the hutch in the winter and reflective side up in the summer (I have a hutch hugger over the top if it too). The have a snuggle safe when its really cold as well.

K

I bought some proper insulation stuff from B&Q that they use for immersion heaters. It is like bubble wrap with a silver jacket. HUGE roll of it. I am hoping that will keep them warm when it gets cold.

Sorry to go off topic a bit but that could also be used in the summer to put on the roof of a hutch etc. to reflect the sun. So double the use.

I recommend using R10 insulation foam board, brand name like Celfort 300, to surround the shed, or the cage. Make sure your bunny's teeth can't reach or eat the insulation. R10 is very warm, it's what builder use in building houses.

I use it for my windows (seal it) during the winter, it's so warm that while the outside is - 20 C, the inside when touching the insultation, it is nice and warm.

You only buy it once and never again. It's an one time thing. Hardware store over here sells for $16 for a 8 ft. x 2 ft.

I have only just moved my bunnies outside as Im selling my house, but I bought a Hutch snuggle and hutch hugger for the first hutch, but as they ar quite expensive and i have 3 more hutches to cover I have found the materials to make my own from ebay, Im making separate rain and thermal covers based on the 2 i have bought. just waiting for the materials to arrive so i can get busy with my sewing machine.

We use snugglesafes inside the hutches for winter, but also have large tarpaulins to waterproof and wind proof them. I know it's expensive but how about a large piece of vetbed on the floor of the shed, nice and soft and would take away the initial coldness of the floor.

For the winter im putting polythene inside the playhouse walls then putting ply over it to insulate,rick

Hi Rick.:) It might be better to use some other insulating material between the layers as plastic won't allow the wood to breathe, and you may find you have a problem with mould developing on the ply. I've a double skinned hutch (T&G lined with ply) whose exterior i covered with bubble wrap and I had problem with mold. I took the bubble wrap off the sides and back and have it over the roof only now. I use a hutch cover in the winter which allows for movement of air.

Back