• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Crate Query, or: how squashy is a rabbit

buntastic

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

As most of you know, kirsty's arrival was rather unplanned, as a result of which her current cage (indoor) is really only a temporary measure and she needs something bigger asap.

Had a look at the dog crates on ebay, and we could get a 48" one for about £35...Only problem is, I have tried to work out the size of the holes, and the average ones seem to be about 2.5 inches. Am I being paranoid or would she be able to get out? The gap under her current cage is just over 3 inches and she flattens herself into that quite easily.

Any recommendations? The bunny is 3kg by the way, if that's any help, so not tiny, but not excactly a giant either.

Also, in a bit of a quandry what to get done first, spaying or space...can't afford both in the same month, but which one should come first? I favour spaying, partner wants space....

Help please!!! :?

How much space does she have now? If it's not too bad, I'd go for spaying, then space, then partner because then she'll have lots of time for recovery and hormones to die down before her partner arrives. Presumably you will have to wait a month between space and partner too, so I think its important to do space then partner rather than squish them both in her cage for a month ...

I've got a 48" dog crate - the bars should be fine for a rabbit of that size... the horizontal gaps around the bottom of the crate are pretty big (a small rabbit can certainly squeeze out) so if you're worried, just block those gaps :D

I have a dog crate and there's no way they could get through the holes. Bugys only weigh's 2.1, and joey weighs 2.8. So i wouldn't worry about it.

I've got dog crates. Is it those black ones on ebay? If it is, I know what you mean about the big gap, but even my small bunnies who weight less than 2kg have never escaped from it.

Nicola

We were looking at this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48-Dog-Puppy-...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-VAL...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (this is the one were I ended up counting squares and came up with my 2.5" figure for the gaps)

Just don't want to end up getting it only to come home to find the bunny has done a runner!:?

LizJ, I think you read my op wrong - a partner isn't actually planned at the mo, but now you've put that idea into my head ;) )... but to answer your question, her current cage is only 2x2x3 foot with a shelf inside, so she has 2 levels in part of the cage. This is better than the recycling box she came from, and she does get let out every day, but is obviously not a permanent solution...

The holes on the bigger crates are quite big on the bottom and in the past I've worried about a baby bun getting his head stuck, not so much escaping. You could put some extra mesh around the bottom, a roll of cheap mesh is only around £6.

You should be just about ok.
My lionhead x can escape only if i forget to close the front flap where you can slide the tray out
So long as i remember then he stays put!

LizJ, I think you read my op wrong - a partner isn't actually planned at the mo

Oops sorry ... reading too fast and not concentrating.... my order changes then - I'd go for space first, then neutering. Partner still comes third though ;)

On the other topic, I can't imaging a 3kg bun getting through the bars of my 36" dog crate. My buns are 2.5kg and 3kg and they seem huge to me!

Back