• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks...with pics

kelzuna

Warren Scout
We have just noticed poor Liquorice has a red patch of skin showing on one his back feet -

sorehock14.jpg

sorehock1.jpg

sorehock13.jpg

He is a house bunny, his hutch is laid with woodshavings. We are carpeted throughout and he does tear around like theres no 2mro. He gets plenty of grass (if weather fine in large run when we at work and free roam of large garden when we are home).

1) Should he see a vet - is he susceptable to infection?
2) Should i change his hutch to vetbed - i have some in living room, he doesnt seem to like it much?
3) Any other tips advice so it doesnt get worse?

he is a rex by the way, plus we are moving in a few months and our new house is laminate throughout so this will hopefully help?

he is a rex by the way, plus we are moving in a few months and our new house is laminate throughout so this will hopefully help?

hi, i'm no expert, but i found similar bald patches on preston recently but the vet assured me they are not sore hocks, apparantley bunnies have small round patches of very hard skin the the very end of the foot.

i think sore hocks show more down along the base of the foot, but like i say i'm not an expert.

are the patches just hard skin or are they open skin?

Rexes are prone to having problems with their hocks and ,in some cases, the pads on their paws as well. This is because the breed don't have fluffy feet to help protect the skin. Little calloused areas like you describe are common to many rabbits , but as you have a rex just keep your eye on the condition and if the skin begins to get inflammed take Liquorice to the vet, who will prescribe a cream. A very good over-the-counter remedy is sudocream(for nappy rash!!), though I found I needed something a bit stronger..my vet recommended Flamazine which is actually a cream used for burns patients. The condition is made worse by friction and also pressure, so try to provide soft bedding for him and ensure that his nails are kept short as long nails on hard floor cause the rabbit to alter its gait which puts more pressure on the hock area. Judging from the pic you've posted, his hocks don't look too bad at the moment.

I agree with bunny_scabbit

I have Blue Rex and the bald patch I can see in your picture is normal.

It sounds like the floor that your bun is used to is fine.

Unless it starts to bleed or blister do not worry!

Louisa

Back