• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

buddabun

Warren Veteran
how on earth do I bond my two with brian?

i have a neutered male and a neutered female who have been together about a year and i am really hoping that brian (unneutered boy) can be bonded with them so they can all live together. so far when I have let him out (supervised) in the garden, they go for him. Putting charlie and brian in neutral territory prompted charlie to jump right in and groom brian (he's such a good boy :love:) but brian kept grunting and stamping.

so. i don't really know how to continue. i'm planning to keep introducing them every day, or at least letting them all run around the garden together (it's a big garden and they pretty much stick to their own ends) but I'm at a bit of a loose end.

I wouldn't try again until Brian is neutered, that would make it more likely to succeed.

Also...I don't know what others think, but if you do bond them and then take Brian out when you're using him for work then that might disrupt the bond :?

right i didn't know that. i will do a little research, get him snipped and then try again later, maybe

thanks!

You should get there with him and I would have thought that taking him out in the day returning him a few hours later should be ok, it should become routine to themtoo... I used to bring an elderly bun in at night and return him to the others in the morning and it worked very well, they just knew this is how it was done.

I would never pair up a unneutered male with any other buns, you are risking serious injuries and expensive vet bills doing this. After he has been neutered for a few weeks you can then pair them up on neutral territory.

When you do this start at the beginning of a day where you have a few days off together and introduce the pair to the single male on neutral territory. Once you start keep going and do not separate them.

No please dont try bonding until your boy is neutered as those few hours that they are apart can make all the difference. My 2 boys were both neutered and bonded straight away however after just 1 day in the vets literally from 11am until 5pm when I reintroduced my boy back into the shed from that day on they fought awfully forever :cry:

I personally would not risk it however it really is your choice and maybe I was just unlucky with my boys I dont know :?

ok that settles it - I will definitely get him neutered before trying anything. my hutch arrived today so he has his own space. they seem to tolerate each other in the big open garden, it's only when they get too close to one another's hutches that it kicks off. and even when it does it's my two doing the chasing. brian just stamps and looks all wide eyed and scared!!

bless him.

Back