• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing For The Winter/Bonfire Night

KarinB

Warren Scout
My hutch has an overhanging roof and I am trying to think of a good way to hang carpet on the front of the hutch when it is cold (I cover them when it is going to be below zero) and also for Bonfire Night so that they cannot see the flashes etc.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best way that I can fix the carpet to the front of the hutch so that it stays secure?

I will take a pic of the hutch and post it tomorrow so that you can see the set up we have.

(Last year I put holes along the top of the carpet and threaded string through and hooked the string onto hooks which were screwed into the front of the hutch (3 of them) but when the carpet was hanging on the hutch it stretched the holes and eventually the holes ripped.)

Last edited:
:wave: Have you got a long bit of carpet that you could drape right over the hutch so it hangs down the front? Or what about some old heavy lined curtains (try your local charity shop if you don't have any)? You can just chuck them right over then and not worry about them slipping down. If long enough you could secure at the bottom with bricks?

this is how I cover my hutches at night all year round - hopefully puts off foxes too and stops them being frightened by cats at night. The dark blue rugs are £4 each from wilkinsons - they're the carpet runners, kind of thin cord carpet measuring 6x2, so they are great if you get 3 or 4 - not too expensive or heavy, and long enough to drape right over :)

nighthutch.jpg

I'd prefer, if possible, to be able to use hessian backed carpet as it is good for rainy nights. Draping a carpet over the top and down the front of the hutch sounds good but due to the overhang there will be a gap at the sides which will let the elements in.

If I could catch them they'd be coming in for Bonfire Night too.:lol:

could you move your hutch indoors for the night?? Or how about some thick blankets thrown right over the hutch, perhaps with some tarpaulin to prevent them getting wet, held down with bricks!!

What about asking a local carpenter / handyperson to make some wooden shutters for the front? These will work as a blackout and offer protection against the elements, foxes, bright lights, etc. Yu can then just lay the carpet over the top of the hutch?

Its very wintery out there tonight and some :censored: is already letting off the flipping fireworks :roll:

There is a law against firworks... and restrictions on sale and use of them...
Im putting my two in a dog crate and my net door neighbour is going to check on em, as im away for the nite... so may even take them with me...

hmmm

im always worried about bonfire night and the days before and after it as they are so loud!! :cry:

I only wish it was a few days,:shock: but it seems like it's weeks!:? The last two weekends I've heard fireworks and the year before last firework night was on a Saturday, so I foolishly thought, right no excuse they will be let off on the night and maybe the Friday before. How WRONG was I! 3 weeks of bangs and flashes, it drove me mad and as for the animals, I just didn't know when to put them out. The cats especially were leaping with fright with the big bangs.:evil: I'm afraid when someone started on the 3rd weekend I ended up knocking the door and asking when it was all going to end! No christmas cards from them, but hey ho! - rant over! I did get another indoor cage today with bonfire night in mind.:(

I only wish it was a few days,:shock: but it seems like it's weeks!:? The last two weekends I've heard fireworks and the year before last firework night was on a Saturday, so I foolishly thought, right no excuse they will be let off on the night and maybe the Friday before. How WRONG was I! 3 weeks of bangs and flashes, it drove me mad and as for the animals, I just didn't know when to put them out. The cats especially were leaping with fright with the big bangs.:evil: I'm afraid when someone started on the 3rd weekend I ended up knocking the door and asking when it was all going to end! No christmas cards from them, but hey ho! - rant over! I did get another indoor cage today with bonfire night in mind.:(

It does go on for a while :cry: ...thing is im petrified of them too:shock: which does not help at all, i am getting a dog crate so i might bring Benji and Patch indoors with their hutch and put Pringle in the crate for a couple of nights, BUT what happens when they go back out wont they freeze with heat change??:shock:

I know...i hate this time of year!!! with halloween, bonfire night, weather change :cry: ..so depressing!!!:roll:

It does go on for a while :cry: ...thing is im petrified of them too:shock: which does not help at all, i am getting a dog crate so i might bring Benji and Patch indoors with their hutch and put Pringle in the crate for a couple of nights, BUT what happens when they go back out wont they freeze with heat change??:shock:

My next door neighbours had a fireworks show last year and the rabbits didn't even seem bothered - I covered up the hutches a bit early, and they were fine - possibly weeks of fireworks trained them not to panic :roll: They go on all Oct/Nov here :evil: My main worry was a stray spark setting the hutches alight :?

is it ok to bring them inside overnight? I heard that the sudden change in temperature is dangerous for them. I mean, it's like 20C difference.

With my last hutch I wrapped hessian backed carpet in thick plastic sheeting with a sturdy plank of wood at the bottom which gave it weight to keep the carpet firmly down. Bricks on the top of carpet ontop of the cage to hold it all secure. Our new hutch is a lot different and has a sloping roof so I am going to try hooking the carpet on but will use eyelets where I make holes in the carpet - hopefully this will prevent it fraying. A friend uses a blackout roller blind hooked onto the top of the hutch so maybe thats a possibility?

could you move your hutch indoors for the night?? Or how about some thick blankets thrown right over the hutch, perhaps with some tarpaulin to prevent them getting wet, held down with bricks!!

Can't put the hutch indoors as it is far too big but me and the O/H had a think today and we think we have a good idea.

Some hessian backed carpet (which I am going to coat - only on the hessian side which will face away from the bunnies - with water seal - fixed onto a wooden batten which will be able to be fixed onto the front of the hutch as and when required. Not sure how it will be fixed onto the hutch yet but we've done well to get this far!!

My next door neighbours had a fireworks show last year and the rabbits didn't even seem bothered - I covered up the hutches a bit early, and they were fine - possibly weeks of fireworks trained them not to panic :roll: They go on all Oct/Nov here :evil: My main worry was a stray spark setting the hutches alight :?

I know with the straw/hay - would light so easily :cry: .. Prngle did not seem to bothered last year but the other two still seem quite nervous with different noises so would be worried about them two. Might put them in early :?

Back