• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What does everyone wear to do the buns?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering what everyone wears to do the buns in the morning. It is so cold that my skin on my hand has split and bled. Now, other areas on my hand have split. Soon, I'll be like a peeling banana:lol:. What do you wear on your body too? My boobs become really sore in the cold too:oops: . And it's only the beginning of autumn too:shock:. What am I going to look like and feel like when it's minus 10C in winter:shock: :shock: ?

PJs and a dressing gown in the morning, or in summer, just the dressing gown. Gives the neighbours something to look at :lol:

i have put on about three layers and I'm still cold, and it's only about 7C. It's usually my neck and feet. If they are cold, so is my whole body. I think i'll try some more socks and something to have right up my neck. I wear wellies too to do the bunnies.

Glad I have a house bun!

I find fleece is very warm, and also ski style gloves so that you can still grip stuff but they are much warmer, also don't forget layers are warmer than 1 thick piece of clothing.

I am always doing something Bunny related so I can be fully suited and booted or stark naked!!! :shock:

...............dont worry, my Buns are all indoors :lol: :lol:

Janex

I went out to feed my rabbits the other day in just my dressing gown and it came undone... good job the garden isn't overlooked (I hope!!).

PJS in the morning

I do the run to the end of the garden to feed Flopsy, give him his water and hay in my pj's and dressing gown. I usually put a scruffy pair of joggies, t-shirt and waterproof mac on when I get in from work to go back out to let him out and give his hutch a quick clean.

Talk about cold!! I live on the north east coast right by the sea. My rabbit was allowed full garden until Saturday when I caught a big moggy peering up into his hutch (luckily he was under the patio table). I have ordered him a run but until it comes I sit out in the cold and rain (neighbours will think I am mad) and do bunny watch every teatime for at least an hour. Once his run comes he will have open access to run.

I must really luv my bun or be slightly mad - maybe both.

My pyjamas usually :D And if its winter my pyjamas, pink dressing gown, pink wellies, pink hat and scarf :roll: :lol:

Have you tried using hand cream? I usually put some on after my shower in the morning and night and it has really helped with my hands because they used to crack and bleed a lot in winter :D Actually any moisturizer like nivea or something should do ;)

And it doesnt matter how much I put on to go see the bunnies in winter I still freeze :lol:

thanks everyone. I put on a vest top, jumper and maybe another jumper, jeans, socks, wellies. I think i'll put on two jumpers, a coat, jeans, two pairs of socks, wellies, and some hand cream. Shall I put the hand cream on before or after the buns?

i wear : ahem : either my pjs with wellies or crocs with my dressing gown over or my knocking around jeans with crocs or wellie with my dog walking rabbit cleaning fleece on and with dads hat on normally or my trackies =]

I would put hand cream on after, my lot would turn their nose up at their food if it was on it (but mine are fussy).

In the mornings I wear my PJs, wellies/wellie slipper things and a fleece if it's warm-ish, in the evenings I just shove on my jeans.

In the winter, I usually wear my waterproof trousers and top (£2.99 Screwfix), with a fleece underneath and a hat. I can't wear gloves because they're scared of them :roll: .

Just make sure you wash your hands and dry them well, after doing the buns - you don't want an infection! I don't put cream on till I've dished up the hay as I don't want them getting handcream on their hay, but as soon as that's done I get my handcream on, gloves on, and go cover them up - and do it in reverse order in the morning :D

It took me 2yrs to realise it was easier to get washed and dressed first thing in the morning though - before that I did it in my pjs with a coat over the top - not ideal :) As I'm always feeding or cleaning some animal or other, I'm always in my 'animal clothes' (oh how I long to wear something nice :roll: ) - consisting of tracky bottoms (lots of bending and stretching isn't great in jeans :shock: ) and layers of tops, a fleece jacket with a high neck, or a long padded coat, and if it's really cold a scarf too and my hood up - I nearly always wear gloves and some kind of hat - baseball in summer, fleece bobble hat in winter - I couldn't survive without my hats! :p And of course, where would I be without my wellies? Thermal insoles of course and I've just bought myself some nice pink ones with cherry blossom on :p

The best way to stop chapped hands in the cold is gloves, although I know you can't wear wooly gloves when you clean them out! You could use rubber gloves to clean them out and then you wouldn't have to wash your hands a lot or use harsh disinfectants. I wear a vinyl glove when I clean mine out (I'm allergic to rubber/latex) and just throw it away when it gets too many holes in. I don't like to touch their wet bedding with my bare hands (I'm such a girl :oops:), but my hands are really sensitive too, so this way I don't have to wash them as thoroughly when I'm done cleaning them. If you use hand cream before you go out there it will help protect them, then put some more on when you are done and have washed your hands, as water dries out the skin :)
ETA: I didn't think about cream and their food. I wash my hands before I feed mine if I have put cream on recently as I don't think them ingesting my cream would be a good thing! Mine are indoors so I don't need to be so organised about looking after them :lol:

Last edited:
The best way to stop chapped hands in the cold is gloves, although I know you can't wear wooly gloves when you clean them out! You could use rubber gloves to clean them out and then you wouldn't have to wash your hands a lot or use harsh disinfectants. I wear a vinyl glove when I clean mine out (I'm allergic to rubber/latex) and just throw it away when it gets too many holes in. I don't like to touch their wet bedding with my bare hands (I'm such a girl :oops:), but my hands are really sensitive too, so this way I don't have to wash them as thoroughly when I'm done cleaning them. If you use hand cream before you go out there it will help protect them, then put some more on when you are done and have washed your hands, as water dries out the skin :)

I wear gloves when I clean mine out - I have several pairs of fleece gloves - the 'thinsulate' ones for kids - and I just stick them in the washing machine or dry them on the radiator - they don't cost much and it's worth it for your hands :)

I wear gloves when I clean mine out - I have several pairs of fleece gloves - the 'thinsulate' ones for kids - and I just stick them in the washing machine or dry them on the radiator - they don't cost much and it's worth it for your hands :)

Oo yeah thats a good idea, be easier than rubber gloves or thick wooly gloves :) I never find it easy to do much when I wear thick gloves, I lose all grip in my hands :lol:

thanks everyone. I think i'll put some cream on afterwards and hopefully that should help. I think I'll put gloves on in winter. Anything to help my boobs? :oops: :oops:

Whatever I have on at the time - although usually pjs in the morning, which means I get dirty looks from my neighbours as my garden is on levels and Millie is on the highest level - so it's like I'm on the broadway stage!:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Thinsulate! that's what I was trying to think of. The pair of ski style gloves my OH has are thinsulate (he has a circulation problem in his fingers in the cold), they are great gloves (and they do hats and scarves and stuff too!:D

Back