• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carpet chewing... argh!

Rice

Mama Doe
Does anybody have any good suggestions to help rabbits not destroy the carpet?? Piper just ignores all her toys, branches, food etc and goes straight for the carpet. She chews it and tries to dig in it. Hubby is getting a bit upset as the carpet is brand new about a month ago... :roll: :roll:

Is it the corners of the carpet that are being chewed? You can get cheap mats and carpet squares you can put down to try to protect it. Mine were constantly trying to dig into the corners when they first came indoors, but the mats etc take the brunt of it instead now!

Hey, sorry no advice, my bunnies will chew whatever they want, Treacle will stop and look sheepish if you catch her at it and say her name in a scolding tone. Dumpling just doesn't give a stuff!!!!! :roll:

Piper will chew on it anywhere! She does dig in the corners, but she'll also chew right in the middle of the room... crazy bun! :roll:

I've had Sophie for errrrmm... 4 years now (?!!) and have not yet found a way to stop her chewing carpets! :evil:

I'd managed to stop my two digging for a good few years - mostly by distracting them with other things to chew like cardboard boxes and yellow pages.

However, about 6 months ago Lavender too a fancy to the piece of carpet that goes under her dog crate and she will not stop chewing it. She knows that she's not supposed to as she waits to see if we're watching before she sidles up to the edge and does some surrepitcious chewing. She even lies down pretending to be asleep and has a quick nibble at the edge. I am going along the line of step 1. shouting at her and clapping my hands, step 2. getting up and moving her, and then step 3. shout at her and then put her in her cage for a while - she WILL stop eventually. :evil:

I guess we just need to persevere?

(We're just buying a house, and plan to rip up the wood floor and carpet :shock: !!)

I'm pretty sure Piper knows she's not supposed to do it either. I've tried moving her and loudly saying no but now she's doing it right in front of me. Its like she's saying, haha you can't stop me! :shock: :shock:

I'm pretty sure Piper knows she's not supposed to do it either. I've tried moving her and loudly saying no but now she's doing it right in front of me. Its like she's saying, haha you can't stop me! :shock: :shock:

Sure you haven't got Sophie?! :lol: The louder you tell her off, the faster she does it! :roll:

My parents now have 3 holes in their carpet. :? eep. I've found dabbing vinegar in the patch they like to pick at helps. I put something over the areas they are drawn too aswell. I erm, squirt Faline with water as it's the only thing to stop her. It's either that or have my parents kick us out. lol.

Try a cardboard box filled with rags and dishcloths for her to dig? Or a phone book/magazine or some of them Pinata things from bunny basics are great distractions.

we have some wood by the doors they're not allowed to go into (why is it that the grass is always greener) and we seem to have stopped carpet shewing with a very loud no and a hand put on the floor under the chin of the offending nibbler. Originally done to protect the carpet but also seems to maybe be a dominance thing.

I put cotton towel on the spots that she loves to chew, and if necessary, I put the chair's leg to mount the towel, so the towel stays on that spot. She'll then chew on the towel instead, this method is quite successful.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I tried vinegar and it didn't bother her at all! I think I'll try towels in her favorite spots and then for everywhere else I'll just have to watch her close, I can't have towels over the whole room unfortunately! :rolleyes:

Back