• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

He won't take his medicine :( Update

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
I am having great difficulty giving Lionel his medicine he has to have it twice a day for his abscess.
I have tried to squirt in the month but he won't open his mouth and i don't want to force it open as he will probably bite me! Putting it on food doesn't help either as he just won't eat it and i will have to get him to eat loads of pieces as he has to have 3mls each time.
Any other ideas anyone? I am so worried if he doesn't have it he is not going to get better :(

Last edited:
Ideally you need to pay for a swab of the pus to be analysed, so you know exactly which antibiotic will work - my bunny Maa had an abscess and baytril wouldn't touch it - I'm guessing you have baytril?

If he won't eat it off food then mix it half and half with pineapple juice and you will have to force it :( Kneel on the floor, wrap him firmly in a big towel, so his legs are wrapped up, back him up between your legs, lift up his front legs with your left hand so you can see his mouth, pop the syringe just behind his front teeth, pointing sideways - or he'll choke, and squeeze a tiny bit at a time. It is very stressful for them but it's the only way if he won't eat it off food - have you tried mushing up a few pellets with a splash of kettle water, mix in some apple or pineapple juice, and mix in the medicine? Or is he just off his food in general? If he's not eating at all you'll need to force feed him as above too :(

My bun is currently on baytril as he is recovering from myxi.I find the easiest way to get it into him is to wrap him firmly in a towel under one arm & push the syringe into the side of his mouth until it opens & slowly squeeze the liquid in.Sometimes i have to hold him under the chin to stop him snatching his head away, but they usually take it well once you actually get the syringe in their mouth :)

Yes it is baytril i guess its pretty gross then!
He is eating some food not as much as a couple of days ago but hes getting there he gobbled up the fresh piece of carrot in no time!

Alvin started to fight when we was putting his meds in his mouth... so after reading on this forum i have started hiding it in brown bread, it soaks in very nicely and he eats every last bit (0.5ml is the dose)...

he hasnt eaten tonights tho because hes in a strop with us for taking him back to the vets... havent seen him since we got home :oops:

I usuall soak carrot tops in the medicine and then feed or grated carrot. I started doing this after Inky bit me on the bum when I tried to syringe it into him:shock: .

Last edited:
OMG what a horrible experience i have just had.
Ok so in light of everything i decided i would try to get him in a towel, luckily my boyfriend was here so i had some help, he must have known what was coming, i tried to sit down next to him and stroke him first but he legged it, then i had to try and catch him it took me 10 mins, i managed to get him in the towel he kicked and scratched us half to death but i managed to get the meds in.
I put him back in his house to calm down, now he won't go near me running the over side of the cage, kicking and stamping, i feel like crying it was only yesterday he allowed me to stroke him, one step forward 2 steps back :cry:
I have to give him the meds in the morn on my own, i will never be able to do it do you think i can try mashing some carrot with it?

hello :wave:

When molly had his abscess it was a nightmare trying to get him to have his medicine. Hes not stupid and knew when I put it in his food. It got to the point where I was so stressed about him not taking any (i wrapped him in the towel and he kicked so hard the medicine flew out of my hands!) i had to take him back to the vets just so they could do it or at least show me how to do it. Finally i mastered the art of mushing up some banana and putting half the medicine on that, and the other half on grated carrots with mushed up pellets. If he didn't take to solid food then I would of force fed him :cry:

Hope your bunny gets better soon xxx

Back