• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Milly & Molly are going to vets soon!!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
AHHHH!!! help!!! I'm going to book an appointment for wednesday for them to have a general health check and myxi jabs. I've never taken a rabbit to a vet so can anyone tell me what I need to take? What questions shall I ask? What do I except to happen in a health check? They are quite nervous rabbits and don't like to be handled, so how will they be with the vet? :shock: Is there any way to help calm them down or make them feel less stressed? What should be their after-care when they come home? Thanks.

Don't laugh but I took a bag of poos to the Vets last week :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: That was only because of Brodys weight loss and I wanted to give him as much info as possible to go on :oops:

You don't need to take anything. Vets visits are quite stressful and mine get very clingy with me (which is quite endearing). My Vet is excellent and knows exactly how to handle them.

He/She should check the bum, teeth, eyes, weight and have a good feel of the abdomen at least. He/She will most likely discuss diet (and be well impressed that you give them so much hay ;) )

You could ask about anything that you're not confident with e.g. nail clipping
Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I live near you which vets did you ring? Not all of them know a lot about bunnies. Perhaps I could recommend one to you.

Maureen:wave: :wave:

thanks. They do do longer poos than the normal raisin poos. They are quite squishy. Sometimes, they disappear too.
My Vet broke a few of the poos open and declared them "very good, healthy poos" :oops: You should see fibre in them... are you not getting fibrous bits in the elongated squishy poos?

thanks. They do do longer poos than the normal raisin poos. They are quite squishy. Sometimes, they disappear too.

Hi, rabbits eat some of their poo which sounds like the type you have described. They are called cecotropes The fact that they 'munch' on them could explain why they are disappearing :)

yeah. I just opened one. They usually do these ones outside of their litter tray and this one had been sat on:lol:. It was quite fibrous, still quite wet and the inside was lighter in colour than the outside. There is usually two a day in there. Sometimes they disappear, sometimes they don't. When they are resting, they sometimes seem to wash in the bum area but they come out chewing. Are they eating their poos at this time?

Most importantly - how did you choose this vet? Vet school only briefly covers rabbit care, so you need to check that your vet has been to small animal conferences to update skills, as many know very little, and ask how many rabbits they spay, what treatment they recommend for stasis, what they do about pasteurella, e-cuniculi, etc - don't be shy as you will be paying them a lot of money over the years and you need to know they will do what's best for your bunnies. What I like about my vet is she will discuss things with me, instead of acting all superior and ignoring my questions - I think she dreads me coming in actually :lol:

yeah. I just opened one. They usually do these ones outside of their litter tray and this one had been sat on:lol:. It was quite fibrous, still quite wet and the inside was lighter in colour than the outside. There is usually two a day in there. Sometimes they disappear, sometimes they don't. When they are resting, they sometimes seem to wash in the bum area but they come out chewing. Are they eating their poos at this time?

They do the caecal poos about 3 hours after feeding, so if they have food there constantly they tend to do too many, or leave their caecal poops as they are full up.

Most importantly - how did you choose this vet?

I have been to these vets for about 15 years for my dogs and cats, but never a rabbit. Another RU member has used them for their rabbits and says they are very good. The only thing that I find with them is that if an animal is nearing the end, they never find any way to help it. They just say it's the end. In the Royal veterinary College on TV, they use all sorts of methods to save an animal until there is absolutely nothing left to do.

It's TODAY!! It's TODAY!!! I'll make sure he checks the bum, teeth, eyes, ears, coat, nails, and I'll ask about Bonfire Night and I think I'll take a hay ball. Don't know if I will or not. I'm so nervous. They're my little babies.

They went!!! They were very well behaved. Got a free pack of info about bunnies, and a sample pack of Bunny Basics but I'm not going to use it. They are very good with bunnies. He checked they were both girls and they are, thank goodness!!!! Gave them the myxi jab and they were very good. Going again in two weeks time to get their VHD jab.

thanks. He also said that a tablespoon a day each is plenty of pellet food for them. :shock: I'd feel like I'm starving them. I think I'll stick with the original plan of 100g a day.

Have you weighed out 100g of food? I weighed out 50g a few days ago to see how much they suggest one bunny eats in a day... :shock: I don't feed my two that much in one day! Glad it went well at the vets :) Mine tend to behave too, probably because its a new, unfamiliar place. Glad they're both girlies!

thanks. Just weighed out 100g of food and it's about 1 and a half bowls full :shock: . So i'm giving them half a bowl in morning and half a bowl at evening and see how that goes.

half a bowl between 2 growing bunnies sounds OK - mine are now only getting the bowl (brown china rabbit dish) with the bottom showing through just a scant covering of pellets morning, and half as much for the evening - more like a bedtime treat than a feed :)

Back