• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moses' deplumming

madysmummy

Mama Doe
well what a saga.........

i was getting a bit worried that moses would never get his plums and then wed we were in the garden and moses was like a little sex pest with mady so i put him back in the cage to give the poor moo a break. but i checked and there were no plums to be seen or felt :shock: :lol:
anyway then on thursday morning i checked and we had one plum. i had asked the vet when moses went for his VHD only whether rabbits sometimes have the same problems like dogs with only one plum dropping. vet said that doesn't really happen in rabbits but if it was going to happen to anyones bun it would be mine !
anyway i called the vet and said there was only one plum and should we wait until the other one drops to book him in to then get them removed ? they said no and as i was off work last week we booked him in for the op the next day (fri) the op went fine and moses was such a good boy and wasn't licking or anything. all weekend he was great, we had a few snuggles on the sofa and it was healing fine.

anyway this morning when hubby and i were back at work today, hubby called me from downstairs 'lisa you better come down and look at this', moses had been licking and opened part of the wound. i put him back in the cage and eh was licking it and going a bit wild - so i sat up from 6.45 with him till 8.30 when the vets opened. every time he licked at himself i stopped him and then he started licking me :love:

went to the vet at 9am and vet wasn't happy and said he had opened the side of the plum that hadn't dropped. and then he put 3 staples there - poor moses was such a good boy and didn't move while the staples were going in.
now he's got one of those terribe collers on ( which i hate ) but its better to have that for a few days than a infected wound ( as the vet said)
i asked about the plum that hadn't dropped and the vet said he has never had a rabbit who has had this and that 80% or plums that don't drop become cancer !

so now i'm at work and hubby will call me when he comes home so i know how moses is doing. he's eating fine (as normal ) and poong fine. just looking very sorry for himself with that terrible coller on.

awwww bless his cotton socks the poor boy! *hugest hugs* to him....

When Isaac got done, all went well except they swelled up soooo big! :oops: and the locum vet was incompetent :roll: . They must have been infected and terribly uncomfortable... cos he bit them off, and they were lying on my bedroom floor - with a trail of blood to where Isaac was happily munching:shock: .... ran to the vets and they did emergency surgery and that locum was fantastic and so sexy to :lol:

the saga continues,

yesterday came home from work and moses' collar was caked in poo - not sure how think he was soft pooing and then trying to eat from off the floor of the cage.
i took the collar off him and watched him for a whole hour to check he wasn't licking or biting at himself. he didn't even touch it. so i quickly left him to clean the collar, went tot he toilet and came back and he had ripped the staples out and his wound was all open. quickly called the vet, explained and the vet nurse i spoke to was really horrible to me ' vets hate it when people do this' . that with the guilt i was already feeling i burst into tears. i thought i don't give a :censored: what the vet thinks i care about my bunny.
had to take him straight there where he had another general to sort himself. i picked him up at 5pm and he was in a right state, his poor belly was all sticked up and sore. he's got to go back on friday, as he's had two generals in five days ! i was so upset i felt sick.

one day on and he's still wearing the collar - he will need to keep it on for a week to 10 days :shock: i'm a bit worried about the fact that it is pushing at his ears and making them go forward a bit - but ratehr that than an infection ! also that not getting to eat his soft poos - so this morning i picked some up and hand feed them to him - not very nice but thats love for you !

Poor baby, hope he's on the mend soon.

Upton is booked in for the snip tomorrow and I wasn't really worried until now. :shock:

Back