• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed Advice

Rach

New Kit
Hi All,

I am new to this site, but would like some advice as it seems everytime we ask for advice we get different answers.

We have two rabbits one kastrated male and and female who have been together since birth and are now 1.5 years old. We have just built a large outdoor home for them which is approx 3m by 3m and we would like to give another two rabbits the opportunity of a good home for life (living in Germany will mean getting these for the equivilant to the RSPCA).

So the question is what do we get. Some people have said another pair other people have said two more females - so please which way should we be going, and what is the best option?

Thank you in advance

Rach

You are going to get different views on this one as well! I would suggest either 2 females or a male / female pair to add to them. A lot depends on the rabbits concerned and their temprement, there is only one way of finding out ;)

Are the 2 new ones are going to be in a separate house coz they might not get on living with your 2 existing ones?

I volunteer at RSPCA and we always put (neutered) girls and boys together as a pair as this seems the most successful pairing. If they are litter mates 2 girls or 2 boys will get on but the boy/girl formula is the most likely to work if they are introduced to each other later.:)

My vet on the other hand tells me she doesn't think there is a pattern so yes you will get loads of different opinions!

Thank you for your quick responses.

They will hopefully all live together, so it sounds like its a case of trial and error to me. We will introduce slowly and see how they get on.

Back