• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed Advice

Rach

New Kit
Hi All,

I am new to this site, but would like some advice as it seems everytime we ask for advice we get different answers.:?

We have two rabbits one kastrated male and and female who have been together since birth and are now 1.5 years old. We have just built a large outdoor home for them which is approx 3m by 3m and we would like to give another two rabbits the opportunity of a good home for life (living in Germany will mean getting these for the equivilant to the RSPCA).

So the question is what do we get. Some people have said another pair other people have said two more females - so please which way should we be going, and what is the best option?

Thank you in advance

Rach

Hello Rach :wave:

Welcome to RU. Hopefully a mod will move this thread to Rabbit Chat ;)

Are you intending to have a bonded group of 4 Bunnies? If so I would have thought introducing 2 more Does to your bonded pair (introducing them all on 100% neutral territory) *might* be the most likely combination to be successful. However I know a few folk on here have successfully bonded two Doe/Buck pairs. It probably depends as much on the character of each Bun as much as their gender. Maybe the Rescue Centre could assist you with selecting two Buns and introducing them to your two at the Centre.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There are many people on here who are a lot more knowlegable than me re Bunny Bondings. I have a low panic threshold in that department!! :oops: :lol:

Janex

I don't think an area 3 metres square is big enough for a group of 4, and bear in mind that the introduction of new rabbits to a pair, even on neutral territory where none have been before, can lead to the original pair fighting - especailly if they can only see the newcomers rather than chase them. If your female is unspayed it will be particularly upsetting to her - I had to put boards around a hutch I had on my patio as my group of 4 sisters would try and kill each other when they saw the rabbit that lived in the hutch.

So basically, it would be a risk to your present pair, but it depends how much space you have if it goes wrong - will you still be able to keep them all?

Back