• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing

sherbert

Young Bun
Hi, Im thinking of bringing my rabbits inside to be house bunnies. I will keep the outdoor hutch/run for the summer. Does anyone have any pics of their indoor set up. I want them to have plenty of space but cannot allow them free range while i am out as we also have 2 cats, who i dont entirely trust yet. :roll:
Also do people think it is best to keep bunnies indoors in winter and outdoors in the summer or is this too much dispruption for them?

Please post pics and any ideas for indoor set up. Thanks!:wave:

Hello, welcome to RU! :wave:

There have been several threads on indoor housing recently, these may give you some ideas! :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101781&highlight=indoor

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=89647&highlight=indoor

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101760&highlight=indoor

With regards switching from indoors to out for the different seasons, I'm not sure, I've not done this myslef, but if I recall correctly I think some people on here do do that, so I'd wait for some better answers!! :D

Thanks for the links! i did look for previous threads....couldnt see any....doh!

My main worry is that they will not have enough run space during the day. They currently have 24hr access to their 6ft 2 tier run, where they spend all their time. guess i just want them to have enough space to run all day.

Oh also anybody any ideas on how they will take being moved in and out winter and summer into 2 different cages. I know rabbits hate their stuff being moved around. Mine even tell me off when im cleaning them out!:lol:

Just wanted to bump this up....hope thats ok?:?
I really want to get the bunnies set up sorted ASAP as we are moving house soon (well a couple of months) and as it will be very cold then i want the animals sorted out first! Our 2 guineas come inside in the winter and their hutch is already sorted.
My main questions are in the above post.....Any help much appreciated:D

I honestly don't think it would cause too many problems moving them twice a year. If they were moved in and out regularly then it might disrupt them but when they've got days to get used to it then I personally would have thought it would be ok for them.

Alternatively can they not be house buns all year round?

They could be house buns all the time, but i would prefer they were outside in the summer, getting some fresh air. thanks for the advice:D

When my outdoor buns were in last winter I didn't bother with a cage for them. Their litter trays were in the bathroom and when we went to bed, orif we were going out we just put them in there and shut the door. During the day they tended to lie under the coffee table or as close to the radiator as they could(!) although I had a special mat with their pet bed on it in the hall next to the bathroom. At night I just put their bed in beside the litter tray. It worked very well.

Back