• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My theory!

Ok, i've had one rabbit from birth (well eight weeks) and my other rabbit we got at one year old from a rescue.
Bugys (one from eight weeks) trust us fully. She doesn't like being picked up, but loves kisses, cuddles, i can go near her whenever and i know she will never bite/go for me.
Joey (rescue rabbit) can be lovely, but will turn and really bite you (draw blood!)
Do you think this is because we have had bugys from a baby, and got joey when he was a bit older. Or its just a case of different rabbit, different personality's?
My question is really, do you have a better relationship with your rabbit if you have had it from a baby?
P.s I love them the same incase anyone is wondering?!

As I adopted an family group of adult females I can say they are sooooo different in personality as individuals, ranging from too nervous to touch, to one that's more like a friendly puppy - that's it, nothing to do with being babies etc. in my opinion. My boy Benny was also adopted aged 18months, and is a sweetie too.

The only problem I can see with an adult from rescue is if they have been badly treated, as they won't trust or like humans - in which case it's up to us to show them we're not all bad, which does take a long time I think - years rather than months :)

I think its the personality of the rabbit :D I got both my girls when they were 8 - 12 weeks and they are both a bit moody and arent very cuddly unless they want something. Trip was about 1 when I got him last year and Beau was thought to be about 3 when I got him at the beginning of this year and I have a lovely bond with the both of them :D

Do you know Joeys story? When I got Beau I thought it would take me ages to gain his trust because of his previous owners but it didnt take long at all x

The story the women told the rescue was : He was an indoor rabbit, but she got promoted and had to work away mon - fri so could look after him.
However ever since we got him i've had doubts his an indoor rabbit. I can't explain it but something isn't right! Mum's gut feeling!
He is getting better, learning to trust and does love fuss, but i know his i'm going to bite you face, so i move away slowly! We have had him about 4/5 months so i thought he should be settled now. Maybe he is but he like a good bite!

Rabbits are all different personalities, some little ones are more trusting than others. From my own experience I would have to say many of the rabbits who have been mistreated up the nicest and friendliest of buns.

I have had many buns come in whom were previously indoor buns who are growly and quite territorial, for the majority of them once they were neutered and allowed time to settle many of them have turned into more friendly buns.

I dont think it is the age when rabbits were obtained, more the personality and hormonal state of buns which make them friendlier.

If I was to get a pair of rabbits for myself, I would always go for a mature pair rather than babies as the mature buns personalities are already showing, unlike babeis who still need to mature and whose personalities change when they reach puberty.

The twins arrived here at 12 weeks and both are very different. The female likes to cuddle and is always the first to discover something new. She also likes to sit or lie on the sofa next to us. Her brother is not a big fan of cuddling and certainly not on the sofa. He enjoys running and jumping on the couch ,but will seldom sit or lay near us. When he wants to relax, he retires to the upper floor of their cage.

So there defenitely is a big part caracter involved. However... I know that the female recieved more cuddles the last 4 weeks she was with her previous owners! Actually they were born because of an accident and the family wanted to keep all the females. Once their gender was determinated at around 8 weeks, they separated the 2 males from the 2 females. The females were put outside each morning and back inside in the evening (with lots of cuddling in between) whereas the males were inside in a big cage,since they were searching a new home. It was only because I wanted a couple that they decided to give me one female. I guess this might have had an influence on their behaviour as well...

I totally agree! I have several rescue buns.....and amongst them are some of my friendliest, most affectionate and cuddley buns!:D Most were rescued as adults, and some had been very badly neglected and mistreated. But they are still total loves! On the other hand, I have one boy whom I have had since he was VERY tiny, who has had everything lavished on him his entire life.....and he will take a chunk out of me any time he gets the chance! :shock: NOTHING has calmed his attitude, he's just a grumpy git!:lol: But that is just his personality, and I love him to bits anyways!:D All bunnies have SUCH different characters and personalities, just like people!

my first two came from pet shops, and it took alot of time for them to trust us. probably had no handling what so ever. Their baby, domino, i kept. And i have handled him since he was 14 days old. and he is so trusting. he has never experienced anything to question his trust. he runs to me, and is completly trusting. I think with any animal, you can make them trust youover time, but if you have had them from a baby, its clear nothing has broken their trust.

however, his girlfriend pebbles, was neglected and set free, and because she lives with domino, his boldness has rubbed off on her, and now shes nothing like the bun i rescued only 6 weeks ago!

Back