• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch - wood preserving treatment query

jpp

Mama Doe
Can anyone advise about using wood stain or preservative on the hutch (newly built). I was only thinking of applying it to the outside, but I suppose it could still be nibbled.

Is it safe to use the common brands from DIY stores? Or does anyone know of alternatives?

we put some water-resistant paint on the hutch, inside and out, because it said on the tub that it was safe for animals once dry.

when you stain your hutch, how long do you leave it before letting the bunnies in? Mine won't be stained on the inside. Just the outside.

I have a quick drying one that is waterbased from Cuprinol. I'm pretty sure it's pet safe. I figured with the british weather it was best to go for a quick drying on if poss.

I left it for about an hour to 3 hours, depending on how safe you want to be. As it's outside the hutch, probably just 1 hour is enough.

Back