• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
We were given an ex-lab mouse a few days ago - so decided to get her some friends... I've been up to Kirkby today and came back with 2 more :D

The set-up:
mice1.jpg

mice3.jpg

mice4.jpg

It's a Hagen Zoo Zone 2 with weld mesh fitted to the top bars... I'm planning on adding ropes and climbing frames etc. to the set-up soon, as I know how much mice love to climb and play :D At the moment they are pig farmers though...

The inhabitants:
Ex-lab mouse Nancy
mice7.jpg

Jolene
mice6.jpg

Emmylou
mice5.jpg

The girls have been getting on really well - I introduced them in a small reptile tank with a divider (perforated)... and they've been in the main tank now for around an hour, with no chasing or fighting... just a bit of squeaking. so far, so good...:D

OMG, that setup is hysterical! I especially love the farm theme. And the mice don't seem bothered to share their living quarters with a pig. Of course, that could be because they're actually larger than the pig. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm sooooo jealous, I absolutely adore mice, my favourite pets I think (sorry bunnies). Love the pig farm!:lol: :lol:

woo-hoo! I just won a giant silent spinner off ebay! :D
I've also added 2 levels (bar type - one at each end) and connected them with a wrapping paper inner tube as a bridge and made a fleece hammock to hang from one end :D now just have to wait until they wake up to see if they like! :lol:

You are officially potty CottonMather! Pig-farming mice :roll: ! What next? Herds of Wildebeast rampaging through? A plague of locusts? Help is on its way :lol: !

Neil

I had to look twice at the pig too... :oops: I wondered what on earth the lab had done to the poor mouse :shock: How were you allowed Nancy if she had been in a lab? I thought that once they were a lab animal they weren't allowed to leave? I love the cage theme too :lol:

You are officially potty CottonMather! Pig-farming mice :roll: ! What next? Herds of Wildebeast rampaging through? A plague of locusts? Help is on its way :lol: !

Neil

I did take a shine to a locust in the pet shop the other day, as it happens...:oops:

How were you allowed Nancy if she had been in a lab? I thought that once they were a lab animal they weren't allowed to leave?

It was a behavioural PhD project (apparently with the aim to improve welfare... I don't know much about it though) the person carrying out the PhD managed to get a few of the mice out without anyone noticing and kept them... Nancy was the last surviving one.

Poor mouse coming from a lab? Is she ok?

She's fine - very active and inquisitive... I'll try to find out more about what she did in the lab, but I don't think it was bad...

More pics... more pics ... more pics.... *jumps up and down* :D

Ok! Ok! Ok! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll take some more pics tonight :D

Back