• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breed help

Lucy

Warren Veteran
We've had a rabbit in which we were told was a reduced size French lop. Now, to me that doesn't sound right, I've never heard of a 'reduced size' before. She's 9lbs in weight which appears to be tubbyness more than anything. What do you guys think?

daphnefw8.jpg

daphne2ds1.jpg

She looks like a mini Charm. I'd say Dwarf lop as they're the smaller versions of Frenchies.
Deffinatly a french or a drawf. But at 9lb I'm guessing dwarf. Charm is like 14 and still underweight.

Last edited:
I had a lop much like her when I was younger.....she was just a Heinze.

Its not one of these strange fads like labradoodles is it? :shock: Or a way of sellling a mixed breed bunny for a premium?

I have another P@H 'dwarf lop' arriving today.....apparently she is HUGE!!

In face, body and ear shape she looks much more like a french lop than a dwarf lop to me, so I'd say she's definitely either a small frenchie or maybe a frenchie-x. 9lb is just over 4kg isn't it, is she less than a year old, it's possible that she's just not a fully grown frenchie. A dwarf lop shouldn't get more than about 2.5kg so can't really be a pure one of those either. Whatever she is, she's luuuurvely :D

Maybe she's part french part smaller breed. This would account for her being so small yet still looking deciededly like a french and also for the daft breed name they gave her? She deffinatly has french in her.

i dont know if this has anything to do with it really, but the shape of her ears and the fluffy tuf on her head is the same peanut and hes a dwarf lop, maybe shes a french x drwaf lop?x

she definately has the ears of a frenchie and at 9lb is definately the minimum weight for a frenchie. Lucy, put your hand by her head and if her head is practically the same size as yoru hand then she is a frenchie, if her head is tiny then she is a very very over weight dwarf;)

Maybe 'reduced size' is a technical term in showing/breeding circles, meaning a pure breed bunny but one that isn't as big as the minimum size for the breed standard :?

Hmmm, I hate it when they're not obvious :lol: She may be a frenchie cross then. She is 1 year old so would be fully grown by now. I think we'll label her as a French lop cross as I think thats the closest we're going to get!

She's a french lop cross. Too small to be a Frenchy but with deffinate Frenchy characteristics. I mean if she wasn't so small I would have immediatly said Frenchy because she does look a lot like Charm, but she's so small.

She's a french lop cross. Too small to be a Frenchy but with deffinate Frenchy characteristics. I mean if she wasn't so small I would have immediatly said Frenchy because she does look a lot like Charm, but she's so small.

my frenchie is just under 5kg which is around 10lb in weight, he is fully grown and is nearly 3 years old, he is definately not a frenchie cross so would definately say that Lucy's was not too small to be a frenchie. Minimum weight for a frenchie according to the excel chart is 9lb with no upward limit;)

Possably. She does look so much like a Frenchy but it does sound rather small. But I only have one frenchy and as I say he's 14lb and still rather underweight. Nothing to compare him to.

So I'll just say she looks like a frenchy but is so much smaller than mine. I can't really say more can I? :p

So she could just be a french lop at the bottom end of the size scale?

get your measuring tape out Lucy;) :lol: :lol: frenchies ears and feet are huge, my Marcel de Buns ears measure 6 inches and his back feet measure 5 inches;)

Shes a German Lop - max weight 8 1/2lb and an angled roman nose - which shes got. Shes possibly still a cross because that dewlap is huge :shock: and shes a Fawn, that colour doesn't exist in German Lops.

www.nationalgermanlopclub.co.uk

This website shows the difference between Frenchies and German Lops

http://www.kanichengermanlops.co.uk/4.html

BTW I breed German Lops and have done for 10 years so if you have any bred specific questions please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Back