• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Even the experts get it wrong occasionally

Bex

Warren Scout
We discovered a few days back that Daphne was hiding a secret, and despite both my family and I being convinced of her gender, while rolling on her back she decided to let it be known that he is in fact a boy, suprising thing being that the vet was 100% convinced of her femininity, so I guess even the experts get it wrong occasionally.

I feel so bad for letting him live with Evelyn (who is definately female), and possitively worse for having to seperate them. Although they seem to be quite chilled about the whole experience.

We're hoping that Evelyn isn't pregnant since both bunnies are young (Daphne being younger) but of course if she did happen to be we would look after her and all the babies.

Neutering will of course follow as soon as possible.
I just feel really guilty for keeping them together and really annoyed since we (and the vet) had checked him/her so many times :cry:

Awww this happens a lot as they draw up their testicles when being examined - hope Evelyn's not pregnant though - how old are they both? When he's neutered you will have to keep them well seperated for another 2 months after the op, and rebond cautiously on neutral territory, as she may feel rather annoyed to see him again.

They are both about four months old (sorry for being vague but when we adopted them the woman was rather vague about their ages...and other things) but we know that Daphne is at least a week and a bit younger than Eve.

We just thought we had everything figured out nicely :roll:

theres a chance she could be pregnant but she is very young so hopefully she isnt.id get her checked by a vet just to be on the safe side.xxx

theres a chance she could be pregnant but she is very young so hopefully she isnt.id get her checked by a vet just to be on the safe side.xxx

Yep, he should be popping in tomorrow for a check, Daphne (or I guess Daffyd, Dave or David now) only has (sorry to be graphic) the most tiny, most deflated little plums I've ever seen, so here's hoping. I'm really annoyed but feel a bit better knowing the vet (who has practiced for about 30 years) was fooled too!

Just thought I'd update everybody because it may possibly help somebody in the same situation...

We're back from the vets and a different vet has agreed that Daphne is a boy mainly :oops: apparently every so often you get a bun (and I guess other animals) who's anatomy is somewhat confused and therefore incredibly hard to distinguish, the vet also examine Evie and said it would be highly unlikely that she was pregnant, mainly because Daphne himself is so underdeveloped.

Otherwise they are really healthy, with good weight and condition *yay*
Panic over for now.
Calm returns.
:)

A couple of years ago I got two mini lop brothers from a breeder and they lived together. when they had their myxi jabs the vet confirmed they were both boys. I took them in to be neutered at about four and a half months and was told one was a female!!! I was lucky that she had not got pregnant. Pam

:wave: Maybe you could keep them next to each other and only separated by mesh or something so they can see each other and lie next to each other on each side of the mesh etc then it will be easier for them being apart and easier for you to reintroduce them when Daphne has been neutered?:D

Back