• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liquorice's eye....with pics

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice has a blocked tear duct, he has had it since we got him about 5months ago. The vet says he isnt in pain and he will probably have it for the rest of his life.

We tried eye drops and antibiotics and tear duct flush nothing worked so we have just left him be now. He seems happy enough.

We were told by the vet to bathe it with cotten wool everyday initially, but when this didnt work he sid to do it once a week.

The thing is, all of Liquorices fur around the eye is getting 'matted'. It looks to me as some of the fur has come off? He HATES having it bathed and it gets quite 'caked' up - is there anything else we can do? We have to really put pressure on to get it off - i hate doing it cos he hates it.... I think we are more bothered than he is - it doesnt seem to affect him?

P9150089.jpg

P9150090.jpg

P9150108.jpg

Poor Bun :cry:

Has your Vet taken an X-ray of Liquorice's skull? Overgrown tooth roots are often the cause of a chronic 'runny eye'

I notice Liquorice is bedded on wood-shavings. Personally I think they may actually exacerbate his eye problems as the dust particles will stick to the discharge.
When you bathe Liquorice's eye you need to use luke warm water. Once you have dried the area putting a thin smear of Vaseline over the area where the discharge runs will protect the delicate skin around the eye. The skin will get very sore and possibly infected if it is constantly wet with gunk.

When the Vet did a duct flush was a swab taken to try to identify exactly what bacteria are involved ? Then perhaps a more appropriate antibiotic eye treatment could be prescribed.

If your Vet is unable to provide any further treatment perhaps you might consider obtaining a second opinion from a Veterinary Opthalmologist

Janex

The duct couldnt be flushed - the vet said it was totally blocked.

Is it ok to use vaseline - will he not get it in his mouth when he cleans himself?

I also thought the woodshaving may irrate it, but the vet said not???

Is it ok to use vaseline - will he not get it in his mouth when he cleans himself?

You only need to put a tiny bit of Vaseline on. *If* any were to be injested the tiny amount wont do any harm.

I dont use wood shavings at all for my Rabbits as I believe they can contribute to both eye and Respiratory tract problems.

Janex

When one of my buns had a runny eye last year we had two different types of eye drops as the first did not work (Tiacil did work) and he had his tear ducts flushed out OK. My vet was pretty sure that it was not his teeth so we thought that something may be getting in his eyes so we moved him to a bed with fleece blankets instead of hay (just in case of any dust). We have not had any problems with his eyes since, however a month ago we have been told he has problems with his teeth.

If you are not sure of what your vet is telling you, please get a second opinion, as Jane says it could be the teeth.

When one of my buns had a runny eye last year we had two different types of eye drops as the first did not work (Tiacil did work) and he had his tear ducts flushed out OK. My vet was pretty sure that it was not his teeth so we thought that something may be getting in his eyes so we moved him to a bed with fleece blankets instead of hay (just in case of any dust). We have not had any problems with his eyes since, however a month ago we have been told he has problems with his teeth.

If you are not sure of what your vet is telling you, please get a second opinion, as Jane says it could be the teeth.

The exact same thing has happened to Biscuit!

vaseline

I had a rabbit about 7 years ago with same condition and vet told me to use vaseline which i did and it worked. Much easier to clean and it never bothered him. Never found out why he had a runny eye though but he did also have problems with his teeth.

Jo

You could always take Liquorice to another vet for a second oppinion. Opal had a very blocked tear duct, but my vet managed to flush it just fine. Opal had recurrent eye problems, and after her tear ducts being flushed twice and being on a long course of Tiacil.... her eyes have been fine for over a month now. :D

I notice you are in durham.... pm me where abouts you are and i can give you details of my vet. Sending loads of vibes for Liquorice who is supercute by the way.

:wave: Hi I work at the RSPCA at weekends and most of the bunnies with those symptoms have teeth problems. I agree with everyone else as it sounds like you need a 2nd opinion - if it is tear ducts etc there must be more things to try and do that maybe another vet could come up with?

Back