• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Milly & Molly's adventure in their run today

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I decided it was time to introduce them to their run this morning. I got them out as usual and put them into the pet carrier. I placed them into their run and let them investigate the run. Milly was biting my welly boot so I gave her a tap and a sharp 'no'. It just shows that she's confident enough to give me a bite but she's so nervous to pick up. Molly was running round and investigating and one time, nudged me on the bum:lol:. When it came to taking them back to the hutch, Molly was very good and I just picked her up and put her in. Now, Milly is a COMPLETELY different story. She ran this way and that and I had to get everything out of the run so she had no hiding places. I tried many approaches, ignoring her, trapping her between the pet carrier and the side of the run, crawling in myself on my hands and knees to get her. I crawled underneath the nailed down roof to catch her and by this time, the pet carrier was outside the run, so I held her on the floor. She struggled but I spoke soothingly to her. May have helped. I put her into the pet carrier and she weed all over the pet carrier. She must have been so nervous that she couldn't control her bladder. I would like to know how everyone else gets their bunnies out of their runs, and if there is a better way than this method? When I got Milly out of the hutch before the run incident, I stroked her and let her relax before picking her up. She seemed much calmer this way as when I picked her up, she didn't struggle.

Awww - I would just give her time to get used to the new routine - she'll soon figure out that going in the carrier doesn't mean a trip to the vets, but a nice treat in her hutch - they are very quick to learn :)

thanks. I think she's now got over it as she's lieing in the front of the hutch and looks quite content. She watches me with her eye now though.:lol:

:lol: They do vary a lot in temperament though - of my 4 girls, after 2 years I have never been able to touch Victoria, whereas Primrose just sits there - they've all had the same treatment and are all sisters, so it must be a genetic character quirk of Victoria's that she's nervous.

I do always talk quietly when I'm near my animals though - silence freaks them out as if you are moving slowly and silently you seem like a predator - so I just chunter away like a dotty old woman 'now I'll get the hay, here it is, oh it's nice, look at that spider....'etc etc etc :lol: I just keep my voice quiet and even toned, and it seems to reassure them I mean no harm :) All except for Victoria of course :roll:

Back