• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training?

Fluffy_Whabbit

Warren Scout
How do you do that? I want to teach my new rabbit that when I get her, since it's so much more hygenical! :D Anyone here that knows how? Thanks!

my buns just went in it straight away:D . I used newspaper, and Carefresh on top. Megazorb or something similar is good too. If they don't take to it straight away, just put their soiled bedding in the litter tray and they should get the idea.

Big cat litter tray, with litter all over the bottom, and hay at one end - they like to toilet while they eat, so it makes them sit in there if you put the hay in there BUT DON'T USE CAT LITTER - clay based cat litter will kill your rabbit, so use wood or paper based only :)

When I got my first rabbit I just put in a litter box and put sawdust in it right away, no bedding for the rest of the cage. And she got it straigt away.
Aroma however didn't see the point at all...she weed all over and used the litter box as a bed:roll: So I put pellets in the litter box and sawdust/newspaper in the rest of the cage but it didn't work. She's still not litter-trained...but both my other two are:D

When I got my first rabbit I just put in a litter box and put sawdust in it right away, no bedding for the rest of the cage. And she got it straigt away.
Aroma however didn't see the point at all...she weed all over and used the litter box as a bed:roll: So I put pellets in the litter box and sawdust/newspaper in the rest of the cage but it didn't work. She's still not litter-trained...but both my other two are:D

I gave my a couple of trays when they did this and they now use one for a bed and one for a toilet :)

I always thought that bunnies went instinctively in one corner (mine do) so it should in theory be a simple matter of putting the tray down where they like to go, getting them used to using the tray, then if you must moving the tray and hoping they follow.

Back