• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's your rabbit's food?

i feed my bunnies Science Selective. They love it. I'm mixing it with their old food, Allen & Page, and they eat the SS in about half an hour max. They eat the Allen & Page throughout the day. No supplements.

Mine have a very small handful of science selective morning and evening, lasts about 5 mins, a big bundle of fresh, timmy rich hay morning and evening, in their litter tray, and a small amount of veg at around 5.30pm - medium leaf of spring greens, tiny bit of carrot, tiny bit of brocolli :)

Last edited:
Dried food is Burgess excel supa rabbit or Burgess junior and dwarf. Big pile of good quality farm hay and every other day they get a handful of readigrass and once a week they get Oxbow Timothy hay. Everyday they get a small amount of veg or herbs. They also get Apple tree branches to nibble :D

Allen and Page natural pellets - about an eggcup full a day each, split into morning and evening. Spring greens in the morning and carrots +tops in the evening. They have a handful of readigrass in the afternoon, and maybe a grape or sprout.
They mainly eat hay.

No idea what you'd be able to get in SA - you are ideally looking for a food with a protein content of around 12-14% and a fibre content as high as possible - preferably at least 18%. A pellet food is better than a mix because buns tend to select bits of a mix and leave other bits, which gives them an unbalanced diet. The pellet foods in the uk are generally pretty tasty and buns look forward to eating them! In the UK the most popular brands are burgess excel (plus excel lite or excel junior/dwarf versions), science selective, allen&page plus a couple of lesser known ones like bunnybasics t.

The largest portion of your buns diet should be hay/grass. A small amount of pellets and some veg are also good, but if you can get a reasonable pellet, you shouldn't need to feed any additional supplements as buns systems are designed for a poor nutritional value diet.

Back