• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny name change am i awful to do this?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Being called oscar for 2 years is a reason to keep the name oscar..its a good bunny name. Bertie came to me at 18 months old and i never chnaged his name..bif was originally leonie and never evrr answered to it..she became bif as my daughter likes the candian singer and her band..called bif naked ( any buffy fans will have her on the soundtrack lol) also she bifs you real hard to get your attention.
we had an oscar he was just another breeding/showing bun no name the breeder said..:censored: we took him on he was he friendliest loving funny rabbit i have ever met. sadly he died august 2006 leaving a disturbed grieving bif behind and we nealry lost her..bertie arriving on day 4 at tea time made her get up drink eat and move..but shes never gotten over losing her oscar. even now if we accidentally mention his name in conversation she goes off into what was their special places and looks for him all over again.its so sad. i didnt think abun had that good amemory.
it upset us too that this new bun was called oscar but we were willing to call him by the name hed gone by for 2 years. BUT bif freaked out hearing us talk about oscar..she squeaked ran into their special places...pushed bertie aside..refused to eat and was very unsettled. it happened each time..we were horrified we hadnt seenher do it that bad since a few months after he died:cry:
so oscar.. dear litle fella..i am sorry but your name has to change for Bifs sake
:(
good news is that he has a name with menaing..BANDIT...cos he wears alittle eye patch both sides and he comes out of nowhere and steals your heart away:love:
the workamn was fixing the leaking floor in the wet room shower and the glue fumes meant wehad to bring bandit downstairs in part of the playpen..bif has decied she really likes him..wilow is friendly to him same as she is with everybody..but bertie turned from being friendly thru the carrier bars to trying to attack him through the bars:shock: :no: so unusal for the big softie..BUT its only been a few days well almost a week since bandit got neutered..guess thats why.
am too afraid to let bandit live downstairs in his cage til the 4 weeks is up and bonding them as a foursome can begin......bertie has got moody and chased and tried to attack nikkis ankles as he smelt bandit on herhands:shock: hes sulked all evening.

i know berties feelinghis manhood threatend even tho hes neutered..so im not panicking YET:lol:

im feeling so much better realising bif behaves toward willow exaclty the way bertie behaved toward bandit..willows still hormonal till 6 months after spay..its been almost 3 months i think so far.have to check..

i think evening out the numbers and sexes is the right way to go.
but i feel so awful i changed little oscars name..am i so awful to do this..bet sue will think i am..we did say wed keep it even tho we found it upsetting..but when bif freaked out like that well we flet we owed it to her.

anyone else had a bun hold onto memories like this..or is it cos shes been a housebun since we took her on from the rescue?

The way you say the name will be alien to him any way, tone of voice is much more important.

I always change my animals names when they come from the rescue, i don't think any of them are disturbed by this.

My first bun came from a pet shop, so I named him. My second bun came from a rescue and I changed her name within a few days because I didn't think it suited her. She didn't seem to recognise the old name and I don't think either of them recognise the names I have given them anyway! Might help if I actually stuck to one name for each of them rather than the variety of nicknames I use for them :lol: What they do recognise is the noise their food bag makes... :roll: :lol:
Its sad that Bif misses her Oscar so much :( I think its the right thing to do for her sake and I'm sure Bandit won't mind or notice really! Plus, Bandit is such a cute name :love:

i got pebbles from the RSPCA, and she had a name with her first owners, who let her go and then pretended she wasnt theirs, so they didnt know it. then when she got to the rspca they named her Melissa! which i hated, so i then named her pebbles, all of mine know their names apart from herbecause ive only had her month, bu im hoping she will in time :)

if they dont know their name it doesnt make any difference

I don't like changing a rabbit's name, even when Aroma came in as"Vestkystens Romance told by Aroma":lol: Then again no matter what I called her that name would still be on the pedigree, some use different names than the registered ones for their rabbits (A bunny I heard of called "Born to be Special" got the nickname "Skip"), but I prefer using names that is in the registered name.

As for names of dead bunnies....that bothered me a bit. :cry:
Before I got Aroma I was offered some rabbits from another breeder, they didn't have names yet, so I pondered if I should call her "Kiara" after my favourite school bun (who wouldn't have died if mom just let me have her:cry: ) but it didn't feel right having another Kiara, it was HER name... So I decided if I got that rabbit she would have been named Vitani, from another Lion King 2-character.

My bunnies don't know their names, since I'm very bad at using them:roll: Usually when I talk to them I call them "Boy", "Girl", "Niniusn" (from the norwegian word KaNIN, meaning rabbit) or "Klompen":lol:
When I'm coming to pick them up I sometimes call their names, and they don't respond:roll:

Back