• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice on small rabbit.

Fluffy_Whabbit

Warren Scout
I'm getting a rabbit from the petstore soon, possibly Monday, and I want some advice. Since the rabbits at the petstore are very small, by comparing them, in my mind, to a picture someone posted on here I estimate their ages are around 3-4 weeks of age. I need some advice on building up her system, when I get one. I will mix oats with her food pellets and suppliment her food with greens, such as dandelion. I've heard that KMR is also a good strengthener for young animals? Any other advice someone can give me? Thanks! :)

Babies should stay with their parents until they are around 8 weeks. I personally would not risk a 3 week old bunny they are just too delicate at that age.

Are you sure they are that young and not a very small breed? I think it is not advised to feed young rabbits with greens if they are unused to it as it will upset their system. If they are weaned (which I guess they will be if you are getting them) they should be kept on whatever they are being fed on now and new things introduced gradually. However I'm sure someone much mroe knowledgeable will be along shortly.

If they are still with their parents in the pet shop I'd put off getting them for a couple more weeks. :)

Are you sure they are that young and not a very small breed? I think it is not advised to feed young rabbits with greens if they are unused to it as it will upset their system. If they are weaned (which I guess they will be if you are getting them) they should be kept on whatever they are being fed on now and new things introduced gradually. However I'm sure someone much mroe knowledgeable will be along shortly.

If they are still with their parents in the pet shop I'd put off getting them for a couple more weeks. :)

That sounds very knowledgeable to me ;) I agree - don't feed any veg or fruit at all until 3 months old - and keep the dry food the same as in the pet shop for at least 2 weeks - plus lots and lots of fresh hay - pet shop hay isn't very good sometimes, so if you can get some from a farm or horse stables, it's usually much better :)

As babies need to be with mum till 6 weeks minimum, really you should querey their age with the owner or it will be a challenge just keeping this poor little scrap alive. Pet shops are in it for the money, they really don't care if your rabbit dies 2 weeks later :cry:

Back