• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit affection.

Alan

New Kit
Hi, my father tells me that a Rabbit dose not show affection to the owner, and also that they will never come when called. Are either of those true? Thank you.

rabbits are affectionate when they want be be but they can't always recognise when your calling them...
x

My rabbits are very affectionate, some of them now recognise their names too.

Do you have any rabbits, or were you thinking of getting one?

Bunnies can be extremely affectionate. Squidgy also follows us around the house, as he likes to be near us, and grooms us often.

Rabbit behaviour and body languge is generally subtle. Without a doubt my buns respond to my voice and I worry if they don't rush up to the hutch door every morning, as it's the norm.:D They absolutely do show affection, they are very social animals and although some are more affectionate than others to humans, I think the more you interact, the more you will get out of it. I love lying around on the floor while the buns are running around they get loads of nose rubs and fuss and in turn, they snuggle up to me. I get a tremendous amount from them, more than I imagined and can't imagine being without a bun now.:D

Charms overly affectionate and half responds to his name, of course I'm sure the other half of the time he understands but is ignoring me on purpose ;) C'est la vie

Bunnies can be extremely affectionate. Squidgy also follows us around the house, as he likes to be near us, and grooms us often.

Jaynie is very much like that. Most of ours respond to "Whassis" because food usually follows :lol: !

Neil

Hi, my father tells me that a Rabbit dose not show affection to the owner, and also that they will never come when called. Are either of those true? Thank you.

Neither is true, in my opinion. My bunny greets me at the door every time I come home. He gives bunny kisses all the time. He cuddles. If he is in another room and I say his name he comes right to me, just like a dog to see what I want. I also take him with me to the pet store to go shopping. If I say "Come on Mac, we're going... put your shoes on." :lol: He jumps in his litter box, goes potty then comes to the door for me to pick him up.

Then again, I think he might be a little nuts!

Haha! Same here. None of ours know their names, but make the treat noise and they come like rockets! :lol:

Yeah that's what mine are like - calling is all to do with tone of voice - I could sing 'hippopotamuses!' and they'd run to me, as they know when I use that tone of voice I have food :lol:

As for affection - I'd say rabbits are similar to cats in that it's on THEIR terms - and they are unlikely to get really tame unless kept as house bunnies free range, or unless you spend a lot of time outside with them :) I'd say a male rabbit would be tamer too, especially if neutered, as females tend to be more territorial and hormonal :)

It takes time for them to trust you, but yes, they can be incredibly affectionate, nudging you, licking and kissing and snuggling into you are all lovely bunny signs of affection.
Mine waits by the door in the morning, sits and eats with us and then runs round us in a cirlcle for a coulpe of minutes, and it's lovely!
I know they can be trained to recognise their name, mine isn't and dosen't, but as others say, the tone of voice used when the treats are being dished out is all you need.
It's fab to read how other buns show affection :love:

Alvins always been a bit distant, but the week before his op he started running about my feet, following me form room to room (when he wanted his veg) and completely flopping in the middle of the floor... even though he dont jump onto my lap for cuddles i still feel he loves and trusts us now.... well prob not now hes been done...lolololol

My housebun is VERY affectionate but he does not like being picked up. He will follow me round and if i click my fingers he will come bounding over to me! He also jumps onto my bed and sits by me for nose rubs:)

Remus, the bunny I've had the longest is extremely affectionate and will follow me around for a nose rub, not to mention he insists on grooming me (I don't quite come up to his high standards you see) and the general chin rubs. I would say Daphne/Daffyd (I'll explain that one in another post) is the most affectionate after him and does all of these to a slightly lesser degree, Evelyn is much more reserved but is now coming out of her shell, and Mr and Mrs Blob are just settling in, but have already decided I needed a good grooming-charming! :lol:

As for coming at names, Remus comes to Remy and Bunny, Bunny, Bunny, Daphne and Evelyn and Mr Blob come to Bunny, Bunny, Bunnies and Mrs Blob is far too posh to reply to anything...other than food :D

But no bunnies can be affectionate and come to their name, although arguably it probably is the tone of the name...but then it would figure because I often sing to mine.

In college, I had a roommate who had a rabbit back home. She told me that he followed around family members and came begging for food if he heard certain packages being opened in the kitchen. That was my first lesson on rabbits' social nature. Prior to that, I'd had no idea.

Three years after that, another friend laid on my chest the family's rabbit, Norman. That bun and I remained reclined together for about 20 minutes, with me just petting him between his eyes while he practically tranced.

Thirteen years later, I now have two young bunnies of my own. Zoe gives kisses, and Emma is always nudging us. Both show affection in their own way, and we love them for it.

Jenk

Last edited:
Back