• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - Any Advice giving Baytril

Missy

Warren Scout
Hi

I'm having an awful time getting my Millie to take her Baytril by syringe :(
She has a major fit everytime the syringe goes near her mouth, the only place I found worked was kneeling on the floor and clamping her between my legs this holds her still but she's now started biting up the syringe and grabbing it in her teeth the past few days she's bitten my fingers very hard doing this and nipped my legs.

She's not one for treats either so not sure I'd get it past her on food, I've also tried wrapping her in a towel but I don't think I'm doing it properly as she either manages to escape or bites the towel so I can't get the syringe near her mouth.
I know there's a way of wrapping a bun in a towel so just their head shows and the towel is all tucked in so they are like in a bag and can't move can anyone expain how to do this and make it secure?

I've given meds loads of times but never to such a feisy bun, I'm sitting here nursing a cut finger and feeling that I'm being a bit useless for Millie as I can't guarantee she's getting the full dose each time. :cry:

It's awful, isn't it, bless them.
I usually mix the baytril with some fresh pineapple juice, and this usually helps, as it tastes a lot nicer.
My nethies are easy to do, but for the larger bunnies I do need the o/h's help. I hold the bun and he syringes.

Oooh she sounds scaryily fit rather than poorly :shock: It depends what you usually feed her - I only give limited pellets, so they are usually happy to take baytril mixed in with a few pellets that have been mushed up in water and apple juice or something fruity flavoured. I have also tried it dripped onto cabbage then folded over to make a cabbage/baytril sandwich, but unless they are really hungry they're not impressed as it's so bitter - it is better to wait till they are hungry like first thing in the morning, then mix it with a little food if you can. I've also heard of it dripped onto a little bit of bread - I would guess brown would hide the taste better? I wouldn't syringe it any more as she sounds like she's major stressed by it - as a last resort take her to the vets for injected baytril I think :)

Whenever I have to give meds, I also mix it with something fruity.

Try applesauce or pineapple juice. I use an organic babyfood applesauce.

She's got snuffles and I've got to do it twice a day, it's a nightmare :(
I am worried about stressing her especially with the snuffles but she does seem fine afterwards she sits in front of me having a wash, eats her treat and wants fusses.
I've only had her about 6 weeks and don't think she's used to being handled.

She's a big bun 4kg and gives quite a kick when she's wriggling, hubby's away so it's just me doing it.

The vet mentioned injectable baytril and I have done injections before (I hated it though) but I didn't think she would be so manic about the syringe.
The vet suggested Ribena but that didn't work thanks I'll try the Pineapple tomorrow. Do you all think it's the taste of the baytril then?
She's being a bit picky with her food at the moment so don't think I'd get her to take it on her pellets.

She's a big bun 4kg and gives quite a kick when she's wriggling, I've not got anyone to help me as my hubby is away at the moment :?

Any ideas about using a towel?

As for wrapping her, I would recommend a small square blanket about 3ftx3ft. Put her in the middle, facing a corner of the blanket. Fold the corner behind her over her, so she can't back up. Then fold both of the sides around her. Just like wrapping a baby. You may need some help doing this, as she probably won't like it at first. Then once she knows what she is in for after the wrapping is done, she'll really dislike it.

Try getting her to taste test different foods that you can easily mix it with. I don't use a syringe when I have to give MacGyver meds. He loves applesause, pineapple juice and pineapple juice mixed with canned pumpkin. I just mix the meds in and he takes them himself. But try to figure out what she likes before you go wasting you Baytril.

Good luck!

As for wrapping her, I would recommend a small square blanket about 3ftx3ft. Put her in the middle, facing a corner of the blanket. Fold the corner behind her over her, so she can't back up. Then fold both of the sides around her. Just like wrapping a baby. You may need some help doing this, as she probably won't like it at first. Then once she knows what she is in for after the wrapping is done, she'll really dislike it.

Try getting her to taste test different foods that you can easily mix it with. I don't use a syringe when I have to give MacGyver meds. He loves applesause, pineapple juice and pineapple juice mixed with canned pumpkin. I just mix the meds in and he takes them himself. But try to figure out what she likes before you go wasting you Baytril.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips on the blanket, she has veg in the morning I might try it on a few of the herbs she likes before I give her all of her breakfast veg.
Like Elve says if she's hungry she might not notice the baytril taste, I can hope anyway :)
Like you say I don't want to waste it.

Trying her with different treats is a good idea I've not done it before coz she was a overweight when I got her and didn't expect to be giving meds so soon.:?

Thanks for the tips on the blanket, she has veg in the morning I might try it on a few of the herbs she likes before I give her all of her breakfast veg.
Like Elve says if she's hungry she might not notice the baytril taste, I can hope anyway :)
Like you say I don't want to waste it.

Trying her with different treats is a good idea I've not done it before coz she was a overweight when I got her and didn't expect to be giving meds so soon.:?

Right now, I'd say her weight problem is a back burner issue. Snuffles is no fun. I lost a bun to that years ago. Do whatever you have to do to reduce her stress and get her to take the meds at the same time. I haven't seen a bun that didn't like pineapple juice and pumpkin.

<sending vibes that your baby gets well soon!>

Baby food!

Not kidding I always use baby food cos baytril tastes Yuk and the syringe thing freaks em all out.

Baby food is good cos all ingredients are really clearly listed and the freaky mom brigade (of which I am a paid up member) have made sure the addatives are kept well away.

Go to a larger store and pick up 3 or 4 different types of the pure fruit or veg ones.

Try a tiny bit of each on a spoon spaced out (like 2 hours in between tastes) untill you find one they like. then mix in the baytill and they hopefully lap it up.

Back