• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you store your rabbit food?

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
I am in the process of totally revamping the bunny shed, and in the process want to reserve an area for storing their food.

Currently we just keep to big bag in the garage, and fill little bags as we need them. This isn't brilliant though as it potentially encourages rats etc. (although no problems yet touch wood)

I want to store it directly in the shed for easy access, and also in some kind of concealed container to stop unwanted visitors. It would have to be big enough to hold an entire 10kg sack and yet easy enough to reach by hand even when nearly empty.

Just wondered if you guys had any tips? :D

i keepo mine in a big plastic container at the other end of my shed. i find it keeps it fresh but keeps it contained x

I buy mine in 25 pound bags and devide it into gallon size bags and keep one bag in a plastic tub and the others in the freezer to keep it fresh.

If you are storing it outside and are worried about rats, raccoons, opossums, etc... getting into it, you can store it in a metal garbage can with a bungie strap to hold the lid down. This is how we store all our horse grain, and it works well.

I don't really want a massive container such as a bin as am trying to give the buns as much room as possible in the shed.

Indiechick. re the plastic container, what size / type is it? Can you fit the whole bag in there?

I keep mines in the large sack in the shed but fill up a large plastic container every week or so to keep indoors for them. I use one of the large tupperware type containers used to store cereal.

What if you made a wooden box to put the bag in that is mounted on the wall, off the floor. You could put hinges on the top to make a lid. It wouldn't take up any floor space and it would be more rodent resistant. If you used a heavied wood, I think it would be more durable than a plastic tub, as mice/rats can easily chew through that, especially on the floor.

What if you made a wooden box to put the bag in that is mounted on the wall, off the floor. You could put hinges on the top to make a lid. It wouldn't take up any floor space and it would be more rodent resistant. If you used a heavied wood, I think it would be more durable than a plastic tub, as mice/rats can easily chew through that, especially on the floor.
Yes, I was thinking about making my own today, as I'm constructing the rest of the hutch area so a box wouldn't be much extra effort.

Just wondered if there was an easy existing solution. Must admit I hadn't thought that rodents can chew through plastic. Durr.

Yes, I was thinking about making my own today, as I'm constructing the rest of the hutch area so a box wouldn't be much extra effort.

Just wondered if there was an easy existing solution. Must admit I hadn't thought that rodents can chew through plastic. Durr.

That's a good idea, and you could make a twisty dispenser type thing on the bottom that only lets out the correct portion size. Like the sweet dispensers you get. Or like a tap on a beer keg? Hmmm... not sure how you could do it though.

I was thinking of a way to make a gravity feeder. The only solution I could come up with would be a square piece of flat wood that covers a hole in the bottom. I would be worried that it would feed too fast though, and make a mess. :roll:

I wonder if you could find something at a livestock grain store. It wouls probably be too costly, though.

I just use a bin with a lid on. Hadn't thought that things could chew through it. Saying that, we have lots of creatures round here, and nothings chewd through so far.

I was thinking of a way to make a gravity feeder. The only solution I could come up with would be a square piece of flat wood that covers a hole in the bottom. I would be worried that it would feed too fast though, and make a mess. :roll:
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines this afternoon, and had the same reservations you did.

Julie's suggestion might be along the right lines though. I'll have to have a ponder... :)

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines this afternoon, and had the same reservations you did.

Julie's suggestion might be along the right lines though. I'll have to have a ponder... :)

But wait!!!! What if you had TWO boxes?!?! The larger on on the top that holds the food being stored. Attached underneath is a smaller box that has a sliding door in between. And on the bottom of the smaller box there was another sliding door to let the portioned food out. Does that make sense?

You would close the bottom door, slide open the top to fill the small box. Close the divider between the two boxes then open the door to the smaller box allowing the portioned food to fall into the bowl to feed. Sounds simple enought, right?

But wait!!!! What if you had TWO boxes?!?! The larger on on the top that holds the food being stored. Attached underneath is a smaller box that has a sliding door in between. And on the bottom of the smaller box there was another sliding door to let the portioned food out. Does that make sense?

You would close the bottom door, slide open the top to fill the small box. Close the divider between the two boxes then open the door to the smaller box allowing the portioned food to fall into the bowl to feed. Sounds simple enought, right?

I like where you're heading. :D

My only reservation is that it makes it a bit overcomplicated to dispense food. Open and shut one slider, open and shut the other. Maybe there is some way of doing both with one action. Perhaps two boxes underneath which alternate open / shut. When you slide left, the left bottom box dispenses its contents, and at the same time the right bottom box gets filled from above. Then vice-versa when you slide right. :?

OK, don't laugh

feeder.jpg

Go ahead, laugh... I know I'm no master at Paint! :lol:

I like where you're heading. :D

My only reservation is that it makes it a bit overcomplicated to dispense food. Open and shut one slider, open and shut the other. Maybe there is some way of doing both with one action. Perhaps two boxes underneath which alternate open / shut. When you slide left, the left bottom box dispenses its contents, and at the same time the right bottom box gets filled from above. Then vice-versa when you slide right. :?

The thing about the two working seperatly would better ensure you don't make a mess, in my opinon. Plus it might be a little more complicated to make the doors work in reverse of each other with one action. Though I'm sure it is possible. Hmmmmmmmmmm

The thing about the two working seperatly would better ensure you don't make a mess, in my opinon. Plus it might be a little more complicated to make the doors work in reverse of each other with one action. Though I'm sure it is possible. Hmmmmmmmmmm
But you could potentially make a big mess if you open both sliders at once ;) :lol:

I agree it makes it complicated, but I'll go for complicated yet cool every time! :oops: :lol:

Methinks I will ponder this overnight.

You ponder and let us know what you come up with. Oh, and one thing I would change about the design, is I would make the big bin funnel at the bottom,so food isn't left at the bottom when it empties. First in, first out is the best method!

How about your method, but instead of sliding the two sliders, you slide the box instead?

Slide back to fill from above, slide forward to dispense. Obviously in the forward position the box would have some kind of cover that slides in place over the top hole.

Back