• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made hutches?

This is one I made myself. It's now a shavings & hay store as we have a shed instead :lol:

PICT0962.jpg

It's not too difficult as long as you have access to the materials you need and a selection of tools. What did you have in mind? Have you seen any on this forum that you like?

Mike

I'm in the middle of rebuilding "hutches" in the shed. More part of the shed really than actual hutches.

Do you have any specific questions?

Would like to put in another level which i am starting 2moz with the hutch underneath to act as a snugglebox also what you have done with the bunny tunnell which is great,i was on your site this morn,rick

Would like to put in another level which i am starting 2moz with the hutch underneath to act as a snugglebox also what you have done with the bunny tunnell which is great,i was on your site this morn,rick

Dunno really what I can advise. You can see on my site that it is all just lino covered chipboard held up by softwood batten. All I will say is keep cleaning in mind. Lots of fixed awkward nooks and crannies are a pain to clean. In my current build I am doing it so that pretty much everything can be removed for easy cleaning.

Here is what I plan for the hutch: The shelters that are in the run are too large, 1m x 80cm, to just put in a bed for a rabbit, meaning that it would be too open and big for her to be comfortable and warm. So I was thinking about a hutch, to put inside of one of the shelters, avaiable to her all the time so that she can climb in and out of it when she wants to sleep. Here is a sketch of the whole run:
rabbitsunited_logo.gif

Here is what I plan for the hutch: The shelters that are in the run are too large, 1m x 80cm, to just put in a bed for a rabbit, meaning that it would be too open and big for her to be comfortable and warm. So I was thinking about a hutch, to put inside of one of the shelters, avaiable to her all the time so that she can climb in and out of it when she wants to sleep. Here is a sketch of the whole run:
rabbitsunited_logo.gif
Do you have a picture of the shelters? What are they exactly?

I find it difficult to see how you could fit a hutch in 1m x 80cm :? Do you mean you just want to partition a bit of the shelter off for a bedroom?

I don't have pictures of the shelters at the moment, I'll try to take some. The shelters are made of bricks and has an asbestos roof. I meant something like a box-like house/hutch that can be placed inside one of the shelters.

I don't suppose a simple thick cardboard box with doors cut in it would do? That's all Flump and Sparkle have inside the shed at the mo.

Depends how draughty / weatherproof the shelters are I guess.

Here is our new hutch, designed by us, built by the buns Grandad (my clever dad).......its big but so our our two girls.

Picture001.jpg

This is our home made hutch (it has castors fitted as it makes it easier to move as it is really heavy)

Hutch.jpg

and this is the attached run

AttachedRun.jpg

made by my O/H and additions by my Dad.

Those are some very nice hutches! Thanks for all the ideas! Now that I have till Desember, my dad will build me a new hutch for my rabbit I'm going to get. I'm so excited! Thank you all very much! Whoever wants to can still post pictures, I might need some more to give my dad more options. Thank you! xxx :D

This is something my o/h made from an old wardrobe. It looks a bit bare as all their toys are out in garage where they spend the day. Hutch is just for sleeping in at night.

DSCN5116.jpg

Back