• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking rabbits

to vets for myxi... they will be in thier carrycase with hay to eat, what should i do about the water?
x

They will be fine without water for an hour or so.
When any of mine go to the Vet for a routine appointment that will take no longer than an hour they are in a carrier with just Vetbed.

Janex

My vet always laughs when i arrive with a carrier full of hay!
I once said i didn't want the rabbit getting cold and he said that's what their fur is for!
Now i just put a towel in the bottom. You could try and attach a bottle to the front?

quick to the mark... well it takes 20 mins to get to our vets... so added appointment time, perhaps i could take a bottle for the journey and detatch it when i go to vets...

thankyouboth x

I do what jellybelly does - a towel in the bottom of a cat carrier.Not having water whilst at the vet won't do any harm (providing you're not there for too long of course) i'm sure he'll be more worried about going to the vet than having a drink! :D

well this is they thing. i just don't want to deprive them, it could be well over an hour by time we get home, thats why im panicking... its the furthest my girls will have been x

I put them in the carrier with their blankets in the bottom to take them to the vet. I used to attach a water bottle to the door of the carrier when I put them in, but found that the car journey made the bottle leak out, and by the time I got to the vet their blankets would be soaked at the front....and I was TERRIFIED that the vet would think I had put them in with a wet blanket!:oops: So now, as my vet is only about 2 miles away, I just take the water bottle with me, and attach it to the carrier after I come out for them to drink on the way home!!!!!

I wouldn't bother with a water bottle, it will only drip and leak everywhere when the car is moving, and I could pretty much guarantee that your buns won't use it anyway! If I'm taking buns on a long journey I'd just stop every hour and a half and offer them some water in a bowl; even then it's more likely I'd be able to get them to eat a leaf of greens rather than a drink of water.

i used to attach a bottle but i was leaky etc cus of the journey...and i found bcus they dont like car jounryes they didnt actually want to drink. so now i dont take one

Back